The standard option for dishes for feeding chickens has always been a metal or wooden trough. A feeder of such a plan is very inefficient and unprofitable, since chickens constantly turn over the capacity, sprinkle grain. We have to constantly monitor cleanliness. There is an alternative to such a device - chicken feeders from sewer pipes.
The cost of the material is low, it is easy to work with, the principle of arrangement helps to save grain from rash and raking. Special systems allow you to dispense feed in batches without constant monitoring of the feed level.
Principle and features of the device
An affordable material is suitable for making a chicken feed from sewer pipes. The assembly process of the device takes little time. Since plastic pipes have a minimum weight, mounting such structures is quite simple.
Chicken feeders from sewer pipes are versatile , functionality and long-term operating terms. Such a device can be made using elementary tools. At the same time, the design looks neat and convenient to use. It can be cleaned, washed, filled with food, moved without any problems.
In addition, it is recommended to use additional devices that will help make the feeder more functional. These may be the elements used in fastening sewer pipes.
Types of structures
Chick feeders from sewer pipes can be diverse designs. Types of devices:
- Vertical - the body is placed perpendicular to the floor.
- Horizontal - the main part of the device is placed along the wall of the chicken coop parallel to the ground.
- Bunker - allows regulate the feed for the bird.
Sometimes the hopper feeder is combined with the vertical or horizontal type according to the principle of placement and manufacture. The selection is made taking into account the number of birds, the design of the premises or pasture, and personal preferences.
List of necessary tools
To make high-quality chicken feeders from plastic sewer pipes, you need to choose the right tools and materials. The list will consist of only a few items. This is due to the fact that working with plastic pipes is not complicated by the hardness of the material.
For each version of the feeders, pipes with a certain diameter are used. Usually several options apply. Additionally, you may need tees, adapters, elastic bands to connect the elements.
To make holes along the entire length of the pipe use a file for cutting metal or jigsaw. Marking is done using a marker or felt-tip pen. A drill or screwdriver is useful for decorating the mount.
Tightness in some parts of the device can be ensured by applying glue mass to the seams and sections with a special gun. But it’s better not to resort to using this option, since chickens can peck the glue.
Making the simplest feeder
If there are no special restrictions and preferences in choosing the model of the device, then you can choose the most elementary . You can make such a chicken feeder from sewer pipes using the following materials:
- A plug that will correspond to the diameter of the pipe.
- 2 pieces of plastic pipe with a length of 40 and 60 cm.
- Knee for transition.
- Felt-tip pen.
- Nail file.
- Measuring tape.
Step-by-step instructions for making the feeder:
- First, mark up felt-tip pen.
- N and in a pipe section 60 cm long, make several holes with a diameter of at least 60 mm. You need to position them along the element.
- Close the hole with a plug, and on the other hand, use the elbow to attach the second part of the plastic pipe.
- You can attach the vertical pipe to the wall using a screwdriver.
Operation is very simple. In a vertical pipe, you need to fill the grain, which is evenly distributed in the horizontal part with holes.
Variant of a hopper feeder made of plastic pipes
This principle of operation is considered ideal for arranging a chicken coop, in which the owners contain many chickens or broilers older than two months. Do it yourself bunker chicken feeder as follows:
- You need to purchase a pipe with a diameter of 20 cm. Its length can be 20 - 30 cm. Put the pipe on plywood and fix it with building corners, screwing them with self-tapping screws. Corners should be located opposite each other.
- Take a narrow pipe with a length of 50-60 cm. In it, make a longitudinal cut 15 cm high. Cut half the pipe along the cut.
- Insert the narrow pipe with the cut end. wide. Place so that the elements are in contact with the walls. Connect them together with self-tapping screws.
- Take a plastic container with a displacement of at least 5 liters. Lean the neck against the second end of the thin pipe. The connection can be made using electrical tape.
- To complete the installation, just attach the container to the wall.
The principle of operation is elementary. Fill the tank with grain. Chickens will eat their food, spilling out at the bottom of the feeder. The grain will gradually fall down the pipe. 30 chickens have a capacity of 6 liters per day. You can not use the baklag. Then the grain will be stored in the vertical part of the feeder.
Production of a vertical automatic feeder
This design of the bird feeder is made in 10 minutes, if you have the right materials at hand. It is enough to purchase the basis of the product. In this case, the diameter of the PVC pipes should be as large as possible. Cut height should not be more than one meter. Additionally, you need a flat part, for example, a lid from a plastic bucket.
Cut a few along the edge small holes, each of which will have the shape of a semicircle. To install such an element in the lid from the bucket exactly on that side downwards where the holes were formed.
Pour the grain into the pipe. It will spill out into the flat lid through the holes. As you eat, the food will go down the pipe.
Non-standard design options
Home-made devices for feeding chickens are more relevant, cheap and functional. Having in the arsenal of plastic pipes of different diameters and a saw for cutting, you can make a rather non-standard, but at the same time functional design. Original ideas of chicken feeders:
- In a large-diameter pipe, make 5 round holes on the same level. Insert cuts of pipes of smaller diameter there.
- With clamps, pull together several pipes, at one end of which a knee is fixed. The structure is installed vertically.
- Lay horizontally a pipe, the ends of which are closed with plugs. Cut a few round holes along the structure.
There are many options for making simple, but effective feeders. It is worthwhile to show imagination and think over the details. It will take no more than 30 minutes to make some types of feeders. You can diversify design options by using several types of materials within the same product.
Formation of a horizontal structure
If the diameter of the sewer plastic pipe is 110 mm, it can become the basis for almost any design option. Additionally, you will need screws, clamps, tools for cutting plastic. The PVC corner and the plugs may come in handy.
A stand-alone horizontal version of the design may become the most common option for making a horizontal feeder. Need to take two pipes. In the first, cut out a part so that a peculiar "trough" is obtained. Close one end of this pipe with a plug. At the second end, fix the elbow to which to connect the second pipe. It should be perpendicular to the main part (with a “trough”).
Depending on how long both parts of the pipes are, the amount of feed loaded into the main part of the device is calculated. You can make the same option, but for 2 parallel feeders, which will improve the efficiency of the design.