The cork backing is currently quite a popular material for decorating various surfaces. Its heat and sound insulation qualities are beyond doubt. In addition, such material is unpretentious in operation. A curtain of cork can replace the classic version of the wallpaper, which will give the interior a certain charm. Let us dwell on the features of the installation of this material in more detail.
What kind of material is it?
It has been proved that the cork substrate on the wall (many have been using it instead of wallpaper lately) is a rather practical solution. This is a natural material obtained by pressing bark taken from cork oak. An additionally sticky substance, suberin, which has wax characteristics, is mixed with the crushed composition.
Features of the wax structure
The walls of the cork have five hollow chambers, among which are layers of fiber, fatty structures and a woody layer, which ensures surface rigidity. Air circulates freely in the free space of the layers, which ensures the ability of the material to “breathe.”
Forms of material release
The use of cork substrate on the wall instead of wallpaper reviews is mostly positive. As a material for decorating walls, you can take one of the available forms:
- Cork sheets, which can be found up to 1 cm thick and 610-915 cm long.
- Sheets in rolls are quite voluminous, but the thinnest option, in which the length reaches 10-25 meters. The thickness of the cork is 0.2-0.4 cm.
- Panels of cork. Convenient for installation form of release, which is also convenient in transportation.
To use a cork substrate on the wall for wallpaper, you should choose a material with a lower density, called cork agglomerate. Another variety of this material is more dense and can be used as an independent finishing agent.
Features of the cork coating
Cork substrate (it is very easy to stick it on the wall instead of wallpaper) it performs a number of useful functions:
- it can be used to smooth walls without resorting to a lengthy leveling process using additional materials and mixtures;
- it has a high degree of sound insulation, which is extremely important for large areas or rooms with thin walls;
- the airiness of the layers of the material does not allow moisture to be retained, so that condensation does not form when the temperature or humidity changes;
- as a layer between the wall and the wallpaper, the cork can be used to increase adhesion.
ImportantCork material undergoes special processing to eliminate the possibility of fire. Therefore, you can attach the cork substrate to walls and other surfaces in compliance with fire safety standards.
Pros of using the material
Glued cork substrate on the wall instead of wallpaper provides several advantages:
- Durability. The cork does not become obsolete, and its service life can reach hundreds of years.
- The coating from the cork can be dismantled countless times, while maintaining its integrity and characteristics.
- Wear resistance. Due to the elasticity of the material, low-intensity mechanical effects on the surface go unnoticed.
- Resistance to temperature extremes. When heated or cooled, the cork structure retains its original appearance and strength.
- The cork perfectly conceals wall structure defects.
- Both the technical appearance of the material and the agglomerate do not pass current, in addition, they they are not able to accumulate static electricity.
- The inability to accumulate microorganisms and fungal spores within its structure determines the antiseptic properties of the material. And suberin, which processes the cork, acts like an antiseptic.
- Thanks to the sanitary treatment at the production stage, the cork substrate (it is often glued to the wall instead of wallpaper) is unattractive to small rodents and wood pests.
- The production of the material does not use aggressive chemical compounds, and therefore it can be considered hypoallergenic and environmentally friendly.
- With the possible exposure to fire, the cork surface does not ignite, but can only smolder, and there are no toxic eniya.
- Cork wallpaper effectively absorb noise and retain heat.
Cons of the cork substrate
Despite the mass of positive qualities of the material, it also has some disadvantages:
- With prolonged mechanical stress with great force or under the influence of heavy objects, the material is subject to deformation.
- The cost of a cork substrate is much higher than the price of a wallpaper.
- When the ability to soundproof the cork passes sound from the room.
Necessary tools for installing the cork on the walls
Can the cork substrate be glued to the walls without using specific equipment? For installation, you will need fairly simple tools:
- a pencil or marker for drawing markings;
- a strong ruler, more than 1.5 meters long;
- tape measure;
- spatula with small teeth;
- sharp clerical or construction knife;
- ordinary solvent;
- masking tape;
- gloves to protect hands and a rag to remove excess adhesive.
Manipulations to prepare the surface
Despite the cork perfectly hides all flaws, including differences in wall thickness, chips and dents, per Before installing it, you should first prepare the surface. If there are significant protrusions and cracks that can subsequently spread further, these defects should be repaired with putty. Then the wall should be primed to ensure the best adhesion of the cork to the wall and even distribution of the adhesive composition.
How to glue the cork backing?
The process of gluing is similar to wallpapering. If the cork is purchased on a roll, convenient sections should be separated from it for alternating gluing. The optimal size for manipulation is the canvas 1 by 1.5 meters. If the material is presented in the form of panels or plates, it is even easier to mount it.
How to glue the cork backing on the wall instead of wallpaper, the photo above demonstrates clearly.
Important Before sticking a cork rolled into a roll, it must first be leveled. To do this, you need to deploy the material on a solid surface and put oppression on top. After a day, the cork will be ready for cutting.
To draw smooth marking lines, it is convenient to use a metal ruler or a large square. Cut the canvas with a knife.
The steps for attaching the cork to the wall are as follows:
- Apply uniform glue to the wall with a notched trowel. The layer should be thin (no more than 1.5 mm).
- Glue the edges of adjacent surfaces with masking tape to avoid staining.
- Glue cork sheets starting from the top corner on one side .
- Using a rag, immediately remove excess glue at the joints of the material webs.
- After gluing large sheets of cork, fill the remaining space of the wall with small pieces.
To better adjoin the borders of the paintings, especially at the corners, they can be fixed with masking tape up to drying the entire wall.
After pasting the entire wall or planned area, remove the masking tape.
The final step is to apply the varnish to the cork surface. Usually no more than two coatings are necessary.
Cork wall substrate: reviews of those who took the risk
An increasing number of people who undertake repairs, prefer natural materials. This explains the growing popularity of cork as a means of decorating walls.
A lot of repairmen who already had experience sticking cork to the walls, note its advantages such as environmental friendliness, naturalness, ease of installation and operation. Cork panels are also attractive for their exoticism, because with their help you can create an original interior that looks expensive and stylish with little cost. Users also note the excellent sound insulation of the material, which is extremely important in modern apartment buildings.
Of the shortcomings highlight the need to purchase a special adhesive composition, as well as the specific smell of the material, which, however, disappears in a short period of time. In addition, users note that the wall of the cork should definitely be covered with a protective layer of varnish, since the cork wall tends to crumble.
Thus, the cork substrate is perfect as a material for wall decoration to practical owners, as well as those who like to surround themselves with natural materials. This design option is able to bring special cosiness to the interior of the room, adding woody notes to it.