When can I say that a child has constipation
They call constipation violation of the gastrointestinal tract, when the emptying of the colon is too rare, difficult, not enough, moreover, it is accompanied by unpleasant sensations, pains. Pediatricians call the following symptoms of constipation:
- a child from the age of one to three years old goes to the toilet “for the most part” less than five to six times a week;
- a child older than four years makes acts of defecation less than three times a week;
- painful bowel movements;
- feces of solid consistency;
- the child feels constant tension in the rectum;
- the baby’s stomach is swollen, palpation is hard;
- the child suffers from flatulence.
Prolonged regular constipation can cause children to have an increased body temperature of up to 37.5 ° C but also lethargy and apathy. Parents can find blood stains on their underwear, which indicates cracks in the anus due to hard feces.
Why constipation in a child should be treated
Stool retention in a child from one to seven years is not only discomfort and pain during bowel movements. Regular constipation can cause in children:
- intoxication, as the products of decay remain in the intestines, and toxins begin to be absorbed into the blood;
- reflux, in which the contents of the stomach are thrown into the esophagus;
- dysbiosis and subsequent decrease in the motor activity of the gastrointestinal tract;
- enlarged intestinal walls, and. as a result, flatulence and pain;
- acute intestinal obstruction;
- impaired circulation;
- the introduction of another part of the gastrointestinal tract into the intestinal lumen (invagination).
In other words, such a common phenomenon as constipation, especially if it has become chronic, is a reason for the child's parents to consult a pediatrician. Perhaps the specialist will advise only a balanced diet and medications. In difficult cases, an outpatient examination may be necessary.
You need to try to solve the problem seriously and for a long time, since pain during bowel movement may cause the child to fear the toilet, which will only aggravate the problem. As a result, the baby is able to lose control over the bowel movement and get serious psychological problems.
Low mobility of the child is one of the causes of gastrointestinal problems
Why is it important for children to eat properly
The child’s digestive system is still in its infancy from one to seven years old, so sometimes it crashes. However, cases where constipation is associated with serious intestinal pathologies are rare. Most often, experts call the causes of constipation:
- deficiency of fluid in the child’s body;
- improper diet with excess flour, fat, protein and lack of fiber;
- low degree of physical activity of the child.
The basis for the treatment of constipation in children from one to seven years old is diet. A healthy diet will help the intestines work properly, make up for the deficiency of nutrients in the children's body and improve the overall well-being of the child. The diet will also prevent new problems with the gastrointestinal tract.
Children’s diet for constipation should be balanced
Children's diet for constipation: the main rules
A special therapeutic diet for a child prone to regular constipation is made taking into account his age, individual nutritional preferences, possible allergic reactions to food. An experienced pediatrician and nutritionist will be able to help parents develop the right children's diet.
The main principle of special nutrition is eating and drinking, which will help the work of the motility of the gastrointestinal organs, and not slow it down. Simple rules should be followed.
- The child should drink at least three to five glasses of water, as well as other drinks - non-sour fruit drinks, sour-milk drinks, compote. As a result of fluid deficiency, feces harden, colon emptying is difficult.
- In the morning on an empty stomach, it is recommended to give the child to drink in small sips 0.5 cups of still water with 0.5 tablespoon of natural bee honey. Before each meal, it is also advisable to drink a little clean water, while it is better not to drink other drinks immediately before meals. Acid juices for constipation should be excluded completely.
- With poor peristalsis of the gastrointestinal tract, children need to provide five to six meals a day in small portions, and they always need to eat at the same time.
- Children's diet must necessarily be varied in order to maintain an optimal balance of vitamins and other nutrients, the running of which is impossible for the normal development of a growing organism. The main helper for constipation is fiber-rich foods. 50% of a child’s daily diet is made up of fruits and vegetables. Vegetable salad with this nutrition is the first course for lunch and dinner.
Constipation is often associated with a lack of water in the body
Products for children prone to constipation
The diet of children from one to seven years old must include:
- salads (for example , from grated carrots and apples);
- boiled fish;
- boiled lean meat;
- fresh fruits;
- vegetable oil;
- sour milk;
- dried fruits (especially h sprout);
Sour-milk products normalize the intestinal microflora
Pediatricians recommend giving children cereals with cereals in the shell, for example:
- Hercules ;
- buckwheat ;
- forgrowing ;
- wheat .
What Regarding bread, it should be coarse, preferably with bran. Muffin and sweet confectionery will have to be excluded from the diet of the child, at least until the work of his gastrointestinal tract is normalized. Kefir, yogurt, natural yogurt for the second dinner are needed to normalize the intestinal microflora.
Oatmeal and bran help the intestines work better
Foods prohibited for constipation
The first rule that you should strictly adhere to when organizing special baby food is no junk foodFoods like crackers and chips are not rich in fiber, important vitamins and minerals, but there are more than enough carcinogens and empty calories in it. Such products should be excluded from the diet even after normalization of the gastrointestinal tract in a child.
It is also not recommended to include in the treatment menu:
- semolina porridge;
- rice porridge;
- strong tea;
- smoked meat ;
- eggs ;
- whole milk;
- fatty and spicy foods.
A lot of muffin and pasta in a child’s diet can cause Aporia
How to help your child to go on a diet
Create a therapeutic children's menu - is half the battle, we must also persuade the child to begin to eat properly. Psychologists advise not to focus on the diet and its goals, but to introduce the necessary products into the diet gradually. So, you can add slices of steamed prunes, dried apricots and raisins to sour milk; in porridge and soups - a little bran.
To empty the intestines, you should choose the morning time after sleep, so that the child develops a certain habit. It is very important to do physical exercises in the morning, in which the abdominal muscles will be involved.
If physical activity, proper drinking regimen and a special diet do not help the child cope with regular constipation, it is necessary to consult a specialist to exclude serious pathological processes in the organs of the gastrointestinal tract.