Parquet board is one of the most popular wall and floor coverings at the moment. However, it is worth considering: in order for the result to really be worth the effort and money, it is necessary not only to purchase good material, but also to perform high-quality work on its installation. Later in the article we will consider several ways to install a parquet board yourself.
Before you begin, you should pay attention to some important points:
- After purchasing a parquet board, it should be laid down in the room in which it is planned to be installed. This must be done due to a possible difference in temperature. To do this, it is also recommended to remove the boards from the package.
- Before preparing the work surface and starting work, it is necessary to sketch out an approximate diagram of how the boards will be located, taking into account their length and width. This will help much faster and easier to navigate during the work.
- When drawing up the above scheme, be sure to consider the approximate width of the boards that will be reported last in the rows. Due to the fact that most often they need to be trimmed, it is worth taking as a basis a width of not less than 60 millimeters. Otherwise, you will also have to cut the boards in the first row.
- It is necessary to lay the parquet boards with an offset of 0.5 parts of the length relative to the first row.
- The location of the parquet board is determined taking into account the particular features of the room.
How to prepare the base for the flooring?
The choice of surface for laying parquet boards is not limited. It can be either a concrete coating, or a plank or plywood floor. The most important thing is to prepare to prepare the site for work:
- First you need to inspect the place for installing the floorboard with your own hands. Look for various cracks, indentations, and protrusions. All these signs must be eliminated before starting work. So, the cracks need to be slightly expanded and repaired with concrete repair mortar. By analogy, process and recesses. And the ledges need to be knocked down.
- It is also necessary to check the floor or walls (depending on the place of installation) using the building level. You need to make sure that the bumps do not exceed 2 / 2.5 millimeters per linear meter.
- If the check revealed an error greater than allowed, then the surface will have to be further leveled. You can use screeds for this.
- If there are a large number of not too significant problems, you can fix the plywood sheets to the floor by screwing them or gluing them to concrete.
- Before proceeding with installation do-it-yourself parquet boards or the placement of plywood sheets, it is necessary to properly ground the floor. Or a wall.
- If you plan to place the board directly on a concrete base, you need to install a substrate before installation.
What tools are needed to work?
This is also one of the most important nuances of preparing for the installation of floors with a parquet board. To perform work without problems, it is necessary to prepare tools such as:
- circular saw or hacksaw, electric jigsaw;
- rubber mallet;
- construction level and rule;
- tape measure and square;
- spatulas: serrated and ordinary;
- bracket for pulling boards;
- pad block;
- spacer wedges.
Now you can begin to learn how to properly install the floorboard.
You should start with this type of work, as it will presented in this article only once. Nevertheless, the preparatory work for him does not differ from those that are necessary for the floor. So, we will consider the technology of mounting a parquet board on a wall:
- Suppose that you have already completed the calculation of the required amount of materials, drawn up a work plan, processed the surface and prepared the tools. Now you need to set the level at the starting point.
- You need to start on the left side of the wall. The same rule will be relevant for flooring.
- Next, mark the line with a width of one board.
- Now you need to start applying glue to each of the boards. This is done in zigzags. It is also recommended to apply glue in the same way to the installation site of the parquet board.
- Next, carefully install the board, make sure that it sits tight. Then check with the building level that it is positioned correctly.
- Then complete the installation of the remaining boards. To do this, insert them into the lock until they fit snugly. Then hit and fix with brackets.
- As soon as you finish installing the massive parquet board on walls, install skirting boards and corners. This action is unlikely to cause you any difficulties, so we will not focus on it.
- After that, inspect the finished surface for any defects that could arise during the work. If you did everything correctly, not forgetting to check the evenness, then you should have no problems.
Next, we will consider the first option to install a parquet board on the floor.
This is a fairly simple way to cover floors. Its main feature is the laying technology, in which the coating is not attached in any way to the base. The solidity of the layer with this method of placement will be achieved only due to the good fastening of the boards in the area of the castle joints, which are located at the edges.
This method is quite relevant in cases where the laying is performed on a completely flat floor without any physical disabilities. The algorithm for installing a parquet board using this technology looks like this:
- A waterproofing material is applied to the prepared floor.
- After that, a substrate sheet is laid along the wall. The laying work will begin from here.
- Next, you need to attach one of the boards to the wall to check the evenness.
- Then you need to make a compensation gap between the wall and the boards. To do this, install spacer wedges on all sides of the board (which touch the wall), the pitch between which should be approximately 500 millimeters. Next, the board is pressed tightly against them.
- Now you should attach a second board for the first row and fasten them with a butt lock until it clicks.
- Next, make sure that each of the following parquet boards is mounted exactly the width of the previous one. In case of a shift to the outside, there will be a docking problem.
- Before you put the last board of the first row, use a tape measure to measure the distance from the wall to the end of the lying board.
- Now attach to the end row of a whole board and on its seamy side mark the length by which you need to cut the necessary piece.
- Then you need to dock it with the rest of the boards, before setting the wedges against the wall, as with the first board.
- If length allows, then the remaining piece can be used to start a new row docking with the previous one using the lock.
- Next, carefully place the rest of the parts, fastening them with the neighboring and previous ones.
- When you reach the door sill, make cuts at the bottom of the door frame to fit the board there. After that, indicate the location of the nut and put the sub-flaps there.
- Now along it, on the parquet side, cut the substrate with a knife.
- Then, marks are made through the holes and the sub-pegs are removed. Drill holes, install plastic plugs there and put the supports in place, fix it with self-tapping screws.
- Now use a chisel to remove the part of the lock at the boards around the nut by their length and width.
- Next to slices need to be applied with wood glue and first put the board under the opening, and then put it on the glue. If necessary, they can be knocked out. Next, the remaining boards for the threshold are laid and pressed against the threshold above.
Advantages of the "floating" masonry
Next, it is worth considering the points due to which it is worth paying attention to this technology for installing the parquet board on plywood or concrete. Among them:
- a fairly simple and fast stacking algorithm;
- errors made during installation can be corrected;
- you can replace individual boards;
- it is very easy to dismantle and reuse the material;
- the coating is resistant to temperature fluctuations;
- there is no need to buy a lot of glue;
- can be used immediately after installation.
Disadvantages of technology
Do not forget about the negative aspects as well. Among them:
- not suitable for placement in a room whose area exceeds 50 square meters;
- is not recommended for use in rooms with a large floor load;
- great sensitivity even to small irregularities.
Mounting the parquet board on the adhesive
The name of the technology speaks for itself. When selling, you need to lay the boards on a base covered with special glue. Moreover, the glue must be selected depending on the type of boards.
Now consider the algorithm for implementing the technology:
- First of all, it is necessary to properly coat the coating on which the boards will be laid.
- Now you need to put a board along one of the walls and install plastic inserts between them, at a distance of 500 millimeters from each other.
- After you adjust the length of the last board in a row, you can put with a spatula glue. The width should be 100 millimeters wider than the outer line of the board. As soon as the adhesive is applied, it must be evenly distributed with a notched trowel.
- Next, put the boards on the adhesive, immediately joining them with a lock immediately.
- As soon as you lay out the first row, apply a new portion of glue to the concrete and distribute in the same way as for the first time. Then lay out the second row, with a shift of one third of the length or half of the board from the first row. Moreover, they must first be docked along the length, and then connected with a lock. In this way, the entire coating is laid out.
- When the installation work is finished, the coating must be left to dry for three days, and any loads must be avoided.
- After the adhesive has dried, the joints must be treated with sealant. When it hardens, you can remove the inserts from the walls and install skirting boards.
Advantages of the technology
As in other options, there are positive aspects to this method of installing a parquet board. Among them:
- unlike the previous installation method, this allows you to process rooms with an area of more than 50 square meters;
- such floors are more resistant to increased loads;
- this option for mounting boards can be used to install over a screed covering warm water floors.
There are more disadvantages than advantages. Among them:
- To implement this method, you need to use a decent amount of building glue. In this regard, you will have to spend money not only on the purchase of a high-quality coating, but also on the material for fastening.
- Unlike floating installation, this method requires working with substances whose full drying time should not be less than two days. In this regard, the operation of the premises is unacceptable immediately after installation. It is also necessary to ensure that no one accidentally gets into the room until the glue and subsequently the sealant are completely dry, so that the boards do not move.
- The process of installing the coating with glue is very difficult to implement. It must be done carefully so as not to stain the front side of the board, and at the same time, quickly and accurately, so as not to encounter various problems.
- Unlike floating masonry of the parquet board, installation on glue is carried out with the calculation of the absence any interference with the integrity of the structure. And therefore, if during the installation of the coating some mistakes were made that were discovered after the completion of the work, it will be impossible to fix them.
- If during the operation you damaged one or several boards, then their replacement will be a rather complicated procedure, during which it is possible to accidentally damage entire elements of the coating.
Now you should consider the last option of laying the coating.
Mounting a parquet board on nails
This method is also quite common under a different name. Maybe you heard such a term as "laying the floorboard on the logs"? Actually, before you start work, you need to decide whether you will lay the coating on plywood sheets or directly on the logs themselves. In the second case, you will need to pick up such boards so that they withstand loads and do not bend in empty places. Preferably, their thickness should be no less than 22 millimeters.
Now for the installation procedure itself:
- Before proceeding with the installation, it is necessary to prepare the surface. It needs to be cleaned of dust and exfoliating particles.
- Next, it should be strengthened with deep impregnation soil and the cracks should be repaired with the repair mixture, having previously expanded them.
- After that, it is also necessary to waterproof the floor. For this, both coating solutions and impregnations, and roofing material are suitable.
- As soon as the surface dries, lags are installed in the room. If you do not want to greatly change the height of the floors, then they can be attached to a concrete base. In another case, they can be raised and aligned using special studs.
- Between the lags it is necessary to lay insulation material, drawn in by a film that serves as a protection against dust.
- Next (if you chose the first option), plywood sheets are laid on top of the lags. They must be fixed with self-tapping screws twisted into the logs in increments of 180 millimeters. It is important to ensure that the edge of each sheet falls in the middle of the log.
- After any of the methods presented earlier, a parquet board is laid.
- If you chose the second option, before attaching coating to the logs (without plywood boards), you need to take care of the purchase of special nails that are equipped with a corrosion-resistant coating. Their size should be selected depending on the thickness of the parquet board used.
- Next, lay out the coating across the logs.
- Each board is laid out across the logs. Further, from the crest side, nails are hammered. Drive them in at an angle of 45 degrees. The same rule applies to the use of screws. But only from the side of the groove.
- All that remains is to install the remaining floor covering in the same way.
As you can see, independent installation of the parquet board does not involve complicated manipulations. Good luck