Modern craftsmen often use drywall in the decoration of apartments and houses. This material has gained great popularity, as it allows you to hide the unevenness of walls and ceilings, makes the surface perfectly smooth, is an excellent basis for any decorative finishing. Even a layman will be able to sheathe walls with drywall. The only problem is the question of what to repair the seams in drywall?
Why to repair the seams
Even the most evenly installed skeleton of the old walls and ceiling sheathing will not make the finish even. First you need to properly process and seal the joints between the sheets. This will smooth out visible bumps on the surface so that the final layer of putty or paint is smooth. If you do not seal the drywall joints with putty, they will look ugly and will cause the destruction of the gypsum structure.
The principle of closing the joints for drywall on the ceiling and on the walls is the same. But one putty will not be enough. Over time, under the influence of temperatures, the sheets begin to diverge, and cracks appear at the joints. To prevent this from happening, we will learn how to properly repair seams in drywall so that repairs last longer. In addition to seams, self-tapping heads are also sealed so that they do not rust on the surface under the influence of moisture.
To accomplish the above goals, we need such materials:
- Perforated or reinforcing tape. It is able to withstand heavy loads, does not stretch and does not allow sheets to move. Protects the surface from cracks.
- Metal corners. They are installed on the outer and inner joints of the sheets to make them as even as possible.
- Putty. This is the most important component when sealing joints. How long the repair will last will depend on its quality. Is it possible to seal drywall seams with finishing putty? For these purposes, there is a special starting mixture based on gypsum. It is easy to apply and does not crack over time, providing a flat and hard surface.
- Primer. An acrylic primer is used to protect sheets from moisture and mold, and also provides maximum adhesion between drywall and the material used for the finish. It is applied in two layers.
- Stucco or paint. In some cases, before painting the walls, finishing plaster is used, decorative or as a layer between the gypsum board and paint, ceramic tiles.
More tools will be needed:
- Several spatulas, preferably new. For finishing the corners there is a special angular spatula.
- Abrasive grater or sandpaper.
- Brush or roller for the primer.
- Paint knife.
- Building level.
We proceed to the stages of finishing work.
Usually, the sheets already have beveled corners at the edges or cut joints are formed where such edges are no longer there. To avoid delamination of the mixture after drying, you need to know how to close the seams on the drywall on the ceiling correctly.
We begin to stitching. All corners of the sheets at the joints are cut with a paint knife or a special angular plane at an angle of 40 degrees. Between the sheets, something like the letter V forms about 5-10 millimeters. The surface of sheets and joints is thoroughly cleaned of dust and possible scuffing.
Before than to repair the joints in drywall, we process them with a primer using a brush, according to the instructions on the label from the manufacturer. It is applied to the joint and fifteen centimeters on both sides. The primer is a very important stage, especially if you plan to immediately paint the ceiling or walls. Without it, even the most resistant paint will begin to crumble and warp over time.
Acrylic primers penetrate the structure of the gypsum sheet and better keep the putty on the surface. Drying time depends on the humidity in the room - from 1 to 3 hours.
So that the reinforced mesh does not peel off and air bubbles are not created under it, we choose which putty to seal the joints on drywall, and apply to the joints. Leave for about five minutes to grab the mixture. Only then can a serpyanka be glued over the seam. The tape can not be cut in advance, since one side is glued to the GCR, which greatly facilitates the process. Instead of a sickle, you can use a special paper tape. It glues for a long time, but in quality it is much better. The technique of pasting paper tape:
- Cut the tape to size.
- Pour boiling water and leave to swell for several hours.
- At this time, part and put the first layer of putty.
- Let dry and sand.
- We take out strips of paper and wring it out with water with two fingers.
- We apply PVA glue to the tape and the seam, glue and carefully smooth the tape.
- Smooth with a spatula.
After drying, the paper becomes thin, penetrating into the structure of the drywall.
Putty should be parted immediately before finishing, as the starting mixture quickly high ayut. In order to have something to repair the seams in drywall between the sheets, it must be used within an hour. The dried putty can only be thrown away. With a spatula in the direction across the joint, we apply the mixture, pushing it inward. After attaching the reinforced tape, we again pass along the seam with putty, going out in opposite directions by about fifteen centimeters.
The inner corners are aligned with a 10 centimeter wide grid and are putty with a special corner spatula. Aluminum or plastic corners are put on the outer corners covered with the mixture and are also pressed into the putty. Not sure how to seal the seams on the drywall on the ceiling? The principle of operation is the same as for the walls.
Decoration of corners
Knowing how to close the seams on the drywall on the wall, we can easily perform the same procedure for finishing the external and internal joints. Thoroughly coat the inside of the corner with putty, pushing the mixture as deep as possible. Instead of reinforcing tape we use a metal corner. Set it at an angle, align it with a building level, apply a layer of the mixture to allow the corner to fix in place. For ease of use, we use angular spatulas.
If it is not possible to install a metal reinforced element in the inner corner, you can glue a sickle and align the angle with a spatula.
The final stage of finishing GKL joints is grinding. It is possible to start sanding only after the putty has completely dried, after about a day. To consider all possible irregularities and remove them with an abrasive mesh or paper, you need to illuminate the surface of the wall or ceiling with a spotlight.
Align the plane
So, we already know how to repair the seams in drywall. Now you need to smooth the surface of the sheets and prepare them for further decoration with paint, tile or decorative plaster. To do this, take two spatulas - 40 and 10 centimeters. The first layer is made with the starting mixture, which we closed the joints with a thickness of about five millimeters. We mix the putty according to the instructions to the state of thick sour cream and the formation of a homogeneous mass.
Using a small spatula, apply a little mixture along the entire length with a small spatula. We press the tool to the surface, try to evenly stretch the thick mass. Repeat these steps several times on a small section of the wall. To clean the big pallet, to level a surface once again. The better the first coat is made, the less time and effort it will take to grind. The same applies to joints: the better to close up the drywall joints, the faster they will turn out align. Before each layer of putty, the walls and ceiling are sanded to remove minor bumps.
Choice of putty
wondering what to repair the seams in drywall and hats from screws, you need to decide what putty to buy. They differ in quality, characteristics and method of application.
There are two types of putty: start and finish. They are used at different stages of GKL finishing. They also differ in properties:
They differ in operational characteristics. On all seams, the first one or two layers are applied to the GCR with start-up putty, since it requires further processing. The final layer is finished, then processed with fine sandpaper. It is made in the form of a powder or solution that does not require dilution with water.
Pros and cons
- It can withstand high temperatures and even open the fire. It does not melt.
- Moisture resistant. The high density of the mixture prevents moisture from penetrating into its structure.
- Resistant to frost. It is able to withstand frequent temperature changes, even with a minus indicator.
- Can be used in almost all types of rooms, even for finishing drywall on the facade of the house.
- Cement mix quickly shrinks, which can lead to cracking. This is especially true of those moments when the installation of gypsum plaster was performed unprofessionally.
- The mixture is not elastic, it is difficult to apply to the surface.
- The porous structure prevents mold from forming.
- It is elastic, evenly lays on the walls.
- Practical, as the repair of joints is quick and easy .
- It does not shrink.
Disadvantages - gypsum absorbs moisture very quickly. But due to its advantages and optimal cost, it is gaining popularity among consumers.
There are two types - acrylic and latex. The composition of latex includes various plasticizers, hardeners, antiseptics.
- Elasticity, strength after solidification, resistance to moisture, practicality and economy.
- It is characterized by maximum adhesion, so the mixture can be used on any surface.
Acrylic putty is made from synthetic material, has a distinctive property - it is an ideal bonding element. Great for closing drywall joints. Putty evenly lays on the surface, does not absorb moisture, does not deform under its influence, is strong enough.
Despite its enormous popularity and advantages, acrylic mixtures do not withstand low temperatures, and it is better not to use it in unheated rooms .
Preparing for the repair of the room, it is worth observing a few more nuances:
- There must be one temperature in the room - no more than 10 degrees of heat.
- We observe the temperature regime for two days after the end of work, so that everything dries well.
- We must not allow drafts to form in the room during work.
- Before installing drywall, all wet work must be done: plastering, pouring the floor.
- Let each layer dry as well as possible before applying the next.
- GKL sheets should fit snugly construction, otherwise over time the putty can crack.
- Wrap the caps of the screws as my You need to go deeper into the sheet so that they do not form bumps on the surface.
By following the recommendations, you can finish the walls and ceiling yourself.
Many people think that if the wall is glued wallpaper, then it is not necessary to putty. Most often this is a mistake, since then it will be impossible to remove the old wallpaper. The putty layer does not allow the wallpaper to firmly grasp the paper layer of drywall.