All modern irons are equipped with a universal function that allows you to moisten your laundry while ironing. More recently, a spray gun was used for these purposes, which had to be bought separately. The product was filled with water and sprayed. Today, all the necessary functions are built into the iron by the manufacturer. The user pours clean water into a special container, and it is supplied through the prepared channels through the sole of the product. Due to this, steam is formed that moisturizes the laundry. Over time, a separate layer of scale forms on individual elements. To extend the life of the device, you need to know how to clean the iron with citric acid.
Original function Steaming is provided by heating water, which is poured into a special compartment. During active use, scum forms inside the product - this is a hard coating that appears as a result of salt deposition. The following factors significantly accelerate this process:
- The user does not perform preventive cleaning of the product.
- Unfiltered water is used.
- After using the product, the liquid does not drain from the tank .
It is necessary to clean the iron with citric acid when red spots remain on the clothes when ironing. In advanced cases, gray flakes of calcareous precipitate from the steam outlet openings. If you don’t fix the problem in time, the iron may simply fail.
Appropriateness of the procedure
Almost every modern iron is equipped with a universal self-cleaning system, as well as protection from scale. For these purposes, experts have provided the presence of universal rods. But despite this, in some cases it is simply necessary to clean the iron with citric acid inside. Since, despite the universality of the design, scale will still accumulate. In the running case, the unit will simply stop functioning.
Preparation of the solution
To clean the iron with citric acid , you need to prepare in advance a small bag of the main substance (enough 25 g). The product is dissolved in a small container with purified water. The concentration of the working solution must be such as not to harm the internal parts of the rubber. The water used must correspond to the volume of the container in the iron - not more than 250 ml. The crystals should completely dissolve. There should be no precipitate in the solution. Excess citric acid can have a negative effect. It remains only to pour the product into a special tank and close the lid tightly.
To properly clean the iron from limescale with citric acid, you must first set the temperature to the maximum mark and turn on the device to the maximum. After heating, the product will turn off by itself. After 5 minutes, switch the unit back on. After that, you can disconnect the iron from the network.
Nuances of cleaning
The first step is to prepare a small container for collecting the spent solution. You can use a basin or pan. To clean the iron with citric acid, you need to hold the product in a horizontal position above the tank by pressing the steaming button several times. At the first stage, a steam jet will come out, and after that boiling water with scum pieces will come out. At the final stage, you need to carefully rinse the system with clean water to remove residual citric acid. If the liquid is clean, then this indicates that the procedure was successful.
It’s not at all difficult to clean the iron with citric acid, but if you don’t do this, the channels for the outlet of the formed pair will completely clog, and there will be many pieces of mineral deposits in the water tank. To prevent undesirable consequences, you need to use a syringe with a needle to introduce a solution of citric acid to introduce the solution into the compartments for steaming. If the needle does not enter the canal, then you need to take cotton swabs, moisten them in the solution and attach to the holes. After 3 hours, tampons can be removed to repeat the procedure using a syringe.
Cleaning the sole of the iron
If after purchasing the product the user did not carry out a scheduled cleaning for a long time, then scale and dirt can appear not only in the internal compartment, but also on other parts. In this case, you should not despair, since you can clean the iron with citric acid. This method is relevant if the product coating is Teflon or ceramic. Cleaning consists of two main steps:
- The first step is to prepare a solution of citric acid. To do this, one package of the product is stirred in warm water.
- You need to moisten a cotton pad in a solution of citric acid and clean the sole. The holes are carefully cleaned with cotton buds. If the channels are very dirty, then you need to fill them with a solution and leave for 10 minutes. Due to this, the scale will dissolve, after which it can be removed with a cotton swab.
On advanced models, the original Self Clean option is provided, which greatly simplifies the scheme of product care. Each manufacturer describes this function in detail in the attached instructions. The principle of operation of this option is as follows:
- It is necessary to fill the tank with water to the highest mark. For these purposes, the most ordinary liquid is ideal, without unnecessary chemical additives.
- You must connect the iron to the mains and set the regulator to the maximum temperature. You need to wait for it to turn off in order to repeat the manipulations.
- All that remains is to drain the water along with the scum.
- You need to shake the iron several times to save the walls of the appliance from plaque.
Many housewives are used to using a product at home that can quickly and effectively clean the surface of even the oldest contaminants. All the ingredients for this solution are found in every kitchen. You can clean the sole of the iron with citric acid, baking soda and vinegar in just a few minutes. The standard duration of the mixture depends on the degree of contamination. After 20-30 minutes, the sole of the product will take on a sparkling appearance, and there will be no trace of scale. For manipulations, you will also need a large capacity that is not afraid of exposure to high temperatures. You can use a large diameter pan or deep pan. The height of the container should be above 5 centimeters. The lower part of the iron is immersed in a solution, which is previously poured into the pan. You must put a few pencils on the bottom.
First of all, 2 tablespoons of soda and the same amount of citric acid are poured into the container. Then add 30 ml of vinegar. When the iron is placed in a container, you can gradually fill in hot water. The total height of the liquid should not exceed 50 mm. Otherwise, the device may become unusable. The iron is placed in a container with a solution for a maximum of 30 minutes. This time is enough for the solution to penetrate into inaccessible places and dissolve the scale. At the final stage, the iron is washed with warm water.
Option for sturdy surfaces
Those who first encounter with descaling, wonders if the iron can be cleaned with citric acid. In fact, you can use not only this tool, but also other household compositions. Abrasive materials are relevant only in relation to surfaces made of titanium, stainless steel, as well as models with sapphire spraying. In this case, you can use the following recipes:
- Using a toothbrush, you can apply toothpaste with tiny abrasive particles to the sole of the iron. The iron must be connected to the mains. After heating, the cord must be unplugged. The surface is wiped with a dry cloth. The rest of the toothpaste can be removed with a damp cloth.
- It is necessary to combine the baking soda and dishwashing liquid in one container (2: 1 ratio). The result should be a mushy substance. The product is applied to the iron with a sponge. After 15 minutes, you need to rub the surface and remove the mass with a damp cloth.
- If synthetic fabric is stuck to the sole of the iron, then you need to heat the iron as much as possible and scrape off the material with a wooden spatula.
- Pour fine iodized salt on a piece of paper. This option is notable for its effectiveness. The iron must be heated and ironed with salt for five minutes.
Recommendations of experts
If traces of limescale are visible on the surface of the iron, then you can take advantage of several improvised recipes that differ in their versatility:
- When traces remain after ironing the synthetics, then the surface must be wiped with a nail polish remover.
- You can use a special arandash, which is freely available at any hardware store. The product is preheated and lubricated with iron. All dirt can be easily removed with a piece of cloth, due to which no trace remains on the surface.
- To cope with pollution, you can use hydrogen peroxide. The heated surface of the product is wiped with a cotton pad soaked in the product. It remains to stroke the soft tissue, on which all the dirt will remain.
Every modern person can clean the iron with citric acid at home. But it’s much easier to avoid a problem than to fight it. The cleaning process itself takes a lot of time and requires certain efforts from the contractor. Simple preventative measures can extend the life of the iron:
- Only use clean water.
- You can equip the faucet with a universal filter for cleaning.
- The user needs to purchase in a specialized store electromagnetic water softener. Due to this, it will be possible to neutralize hardness salts.
If you follow simple recommendations, then there will be no need to clean the iron with citric acid. In addition, the quality of ironing will not fall and the operational life of the unit will last.