Lentils can be prepared in many different ways. If you compare it in calories with other products, then it can even replace meat. In our article, we will describe in detail how to cook brown lentils for a side dish to make an incredibly tasty and fragrant dish.
At one time, it was a popular representative of legumes, but with the advent of potatoes, lentils lost their popularity. However, many people prefer it to all other dishes.
How long to cook
How many minutes to cook brown lentils for a side dish? This bean culture is prepared from 40 to 60 minutes. Some housewives believe that this is a long time. But as a result, you get a very tasty dish. This is a useful side dish that can diversify the diet of each of us.
To speed up the process, you need to soak the lentils in the water overnight. Then it is cooked for only 20-25 minutes. Now you know how much to cook brown lentils.
Having placed this product in a double boiler, you will have to wait about 1 hour. During this time, lentils will be well cooked.
Some cooking features
Continue to figure out how to cook brown lentils for a side dish. When preparing this useful grits, consider these tips:
- Fill lentils only with cold running water. So the side dish will not turn into porridge.
- Boiling the cereal for the side dish or stew, pour it with three glasses of water. When preparing lentils for salad, use less water (maximum 2 cups) so that the grains do not boil so hard.
- Salt the lentils at the end of cooking, otherwise it will be hard and stiff.
- Add 1 a teaspoon of olive oil in a pan.
- Rosemary, sage, celery, bay leaf, will be the best addition to lentils and give it a special flavor.
Boiled brown lentils on Garnish
For cooking you will need:
- 200 grams of brown lentils.
- 450 milliliters of purified water.
- 85 grams of pe onions.
- 85 grams of carrots.
- Refined vegetable oil.
- Ground black pepper.
We offer step-by-step cooking instructions. Following our recommendations, you will easily understand how to cook brown lentils for a side dish. You must do the following:
- Rinse the lentils, fill with water and leave for an hour.
- After this, drain the water and replace with a new, slightly salted one.
- Put on the fire and cook for 15-25 minutes.
- While the side dish is boiling, proceed to prepare the vegetable dressing. To do this, peel and chop the onions, place it in a frying pan with heated vegetable oil and fry for 5-7 minutes.
- Add the carrots chopped on the grater and fry for another 5 minutes.
- After boil the lentils and pour the water into a colander. Wait for it to drain. Combine the vegetable dressing with the cereal and serve.
Cooking in a slow cooker
You will need these ingredients:
- 160 grams of lentils.
- 450 milliliters of purified water.
- 2 cloves of garlic.
- 75 grams of onion.
- 75 grams of carrots.
- 35 milliliters of refined oil.
- 90 grams of sweet bell pepper.
- Salt and black pepper to taste.
How to cook brown lentils for garnish using a slow cooker? To cook a side dish in a slow cooker, first fry the peeled and crushed garlic in oil, choosing the “Baking” cooking mode. After that, remove the garlic, and in the resulting garlic oil, put onions, carrots and bell peppers. Sauté the vegetables until they are soft, then add the washed lentils. Fill everything with water. Choose the mode "Groats" or "Buckwheat". Cook before the end of the program.
When cooking this dish, observe the proportions. How to cook brown lentils for garnish so that the grains are soft but whole? Take 1 part beans and two parts water.
Delicious recipes for simple dishes with lentils
This a plant product goes well with mushrooms, as well as stewed, baked and even fried. Lentils are the best addition to meat. We offer you some simple recipes that will help diversify your diet. If you are not a fan of lentils, then try cooking it at least once. Perhaps your opinion will change.
To make dishes with this cereal even tastier, you need to boil the lentils for 5-10 minutes. Next, you need to drain the water (it will be dark in color), rinse the groats under running water and cook again.
If you follow this simple advice, you will get a tasty and tender dish that can be given even to children.
Cooking lentils with mushrooms in a slow cooker
This dish is perfect for vegetarians . Lentils and mushrooms are a storehouse of protein. In addition, this cereal contains many vitamins and minerals such as A, E, B 1 , B 2 , B 9 , iron, calcium, potassium, phosphorus.
To cook this tasty and healthy dish in a slow cooker, take:
- Brown lentils and mushrooms in equal amounts (400 grams each).
- 1 onion.
- Butter 50 grams.
- A few cloves of garlic.
Cook by following the step-by-step recipe below:
- Put butter in a multicooker bowl.
- Chop the onion and lightly fry.
- Cut the mushrooms dice or slices and send to the onion.
- Fry the food for 15 minutes, closing the lid of the multicooker.
- Add lentils and 4 cups of water.
- Turn on the “Cooking” mode or "Fry" and cook for 20 minutes.
- Turn on the "Extinguishing" mode. We mix the ingredients and cook for another 15 minutes.
- Decorate the finished dish with finely chopped herbs.
Lentils with mushrooms do not need to be seasoned with anything else. It itself is quite juicy, and mushrooms and onions with garlic give the taste a certain piquancy.
This is a very interesting brown lentil dish. Cooking it is quite simple. Falafel is such a cutlet of plant components. The main ingredient in it is chickpeas, but lentils are also great as an alternative substitute. To cook such patties that came to us from Turkish cuisine, you need to take:
- 400 grams of lentils.
- 1 onion.
- 3-4 cloves of garlic.
- 3 tablespoons of whole grain flour or fiber.
- Vegetable oil (for frying).
Step-by-step preparation consists in the preliminary preparation of cereals. It should be boiled and chopped with a blender until a smoothie is obtained. You need to add garlic and spices to it. To stir thoroughly. After that, add half the greens and flour and beat well again. The mass for the cutlets is ready.
Form the cakes with your hands. Place your billets in butter preheated in a frying pan, after pre-baking them in flour. Fry for 2 minutes on each side. After that, place the patties in the oven preheated to 170 degrees Celsius.
If this option of cooking brown lentils does not suit you, you can try cooking it with lamb. See below for how to do this.
Lentils with lamb
To prepare this delicious dish, you will need:
- Lentils - 2 cups.
- Lamb - 400 grams.
- Onions - 1 pc.
- Carrots - 1 pc.
- Garlic - 1 head.
- Water - 450 ml.
- Fresh herbs.
How to cook brown lentils for garnish, if you use lamb as one of the ingredients? Step-by-step instruction:
- Put a pan with a thick bottom on the fire.
- Put chopped meat in it. Do not pour oil.
- Fry until lamb gives juice. Once this happens, place a layer of chopped onion and grated carrots on top of the meat.
- Stew the food under a closed lid for 20-25 minutes.
- Then add the garlic, seasoning and salt. Stir everything thoroughly.
- Add the lentils soaked in water.
- Add the water.
- Simmer for at least 40 minutes. After the time has passed, turn off the plate and let the dish stand under the closed lid.
Lentils are a great option for a side dish. You can easily diversify your diet using this healthy and tasty product. Above we told how to cook brown lentils until cooked. So that the process does not take much time, soak this cereal in water, like beans or peas.
Now you know how to cook brown lentils for a side dish. A dietary dish necessarily requires boiling the cereal for several minutes, and then draining the water. In this case, lentils will not cause increased gas formation in the intestines.
You can use this cereal for vegetable salads. To do this, lentils should be boiled until cooked, cooled and added as a satisfying component to chopped fresh tomatoes and cucumbers. To fill such a salad requires olive oil.