Of the many ceiling coatings that construction supermarkets and markets offer consumers today, many apartment owners choose tensile structures. They have many advantages: the ability to hide existing surface imperfections, beautiful appearance, long life.
However, after 4-5 years, when it comes time to change the wallpaper, homeowners are faced with the problem: how to glue wallpaper with tension the ceiling? Its service life is more than ten years, so changing the design along with wallpaper is both expensive and impractical. In this case, the question arises: is it possible to re-glue the wallpaper under a stretch ceiling without damaging the stretch paintings?
What is the essence of the problem
The problem is that there is a risk of staining the ceiling when re-painting or painting the paintings. However, the glued wallpaper is firmly drawn by baguettes to the walls, and it is quite difficult to replace them. Of course, if your plans do not include replacing wall coverings in the next 10-15 years, then there is nothing to worry about. However, few can withstand such a monotony for such a long time.
Do the work yourself or invite specialists?
Experienced finishers know how to re-stick wallpaper with a stretch ceiling installed earlier. Such a task is feasible, although we will not hide that it is quite painstaking, requiring accuracy and patience. Therefore, you can go the simplest way - invite professionals to carry it out. Nevertheless, many owners, wanting to save money, re-glue the wallpaper on their own. Unfortunately, it is not always possible to achieve the desired result. In this case, it is necessary to study the repair sequence, which should be strictly observed.
The main stages of work
First you need to free the room from furniture that will not give you the opportunity turn around. Then apply masking tape to the edge of the ceiling. You should not hope that he can protect the ceiling from cuts or punctures, but he will help protect him from accidentally touching the brush or roller with a primer, glue, paint.
Then you need to remove the special insert at the junction of wallpaper and ceiling and remove the old wallpaper.
How to do it?
If the previous canvases were glued after the tension structure was installed, after removing the decorative insert, you can proceed to remove the old coating. If the ceiling baguettes are fixed on top of the wallpaper, then they will have to be cut.
It is important to know how to remove the wallpaper correctly. To make the sheets peel off more easily, use special products or moisten the sheets with warm water. Use the following tips:
- You should dose the amount of water. If it is not enough, the glue will not dissolve, and if there is an excess, it will be necessary to collect a puddle from the floor.
- It is recommended to remove the wallpaper in stages, wetting each canvas.
- On thick and also washing wallpapers, many small cuts - so the water will penetrate to the base faster.
- To facilitate and speed up the work, use a spike roller instead of a sponge.
- If the profile of the stretch ceiling was attached to the wallpaper, they must be cut as can be closer to him. This work is done with a very sharp knife. A thin spatula can be used to prevent accidentally cutting the ceiling. It will become a kind of ruler, with which you can trim the strip as evenly as possible. When the strips are cut, moisten them with warm water - so they will be removed faster.
- If there are minor defects on the surface of the walls, they should be repaired. But you should not use drywall for this if the stretch ceiling is already mounted.
- Before gluing the canvas, it is necessary to update the primer, to repair minor defects. It is already too late to engage in global leveling or plastering walls with suspended ceilings. Otherwise, a height difference will form at the top.
- For the same reason, do not apply liquid wallpaper.
- If you are interested in how to glue the wallpaper with a stretch ceiling, you need to know that the surface of the walls must be dry, completely cleaned of old finishing materials.
- The surface must be primed. This procedure will ensure good adhesion of the paintings to the wall, reduce glue consumption. The primer can be applied with a brush or roller. This must be done very carefully near the ceiling - if splashes get on the ceiling, they are unlikely to be eliminated.
How to re-stick the wallpaper in the presence of a stretch ceiling?
When the primer completely dries , you can start the process of wallpapering. Consider in advance whether you will use skirting boards. This decorative element will give the room a more accurate and complete look. Moreover, under it you can hide the profile on which the stretch ceiling and the uneven edge of the paintings are attached. When using them, the wallpaper is not glued to the ceiling, but to the cornice. In this case, note the location level of this element on the wall.
It is better to measure the required length of wallpaper in advance. It is convenient to do on the floor or a large table. In addition, pre-prepared webs minimize the risk of damage to the tensile structure during trimming of the glued web. Experts believe that it is convenient to customize the wallpaper pattern on the floor. That is why we talked about the fact that the room should be free of furniture.
If you still need crop the wallpaper at the top, this should be done very carefully. As with trimming old paintings, you must use a paint knife and a spatula.
Tips from specialists
We talked about how to re-stick wallpaper with a stretch ceiling mounted earlier. The process of wallpapering the walls in this case is practically no different from rooms with any other decoration. It is important not to damage the mounted coating. Experienced experts advise to adhere to their recommendations:
- Glue on the wall near the ceiling, glue not with a roller, but with a narrow and flat brush. This will help to more accurately distribute the composition.
- If necessary, excess cloths must be cut off the floor.
- When priming, try not to spray on the ceiling. Drops of glue can be easily removed with warm water, but most types of primers and almost all paints leave stains that cannot be removed. Masking tape will help to partially prevent this situation, although masters have different opinions on the need to use such protection. Some people think that it makes sense to play it safe, while others are sure that you should not waste time on useless work.
Despite the fact that sticking wallpaper in a room that already has a suspended ceiling is quite painstaking and laborious work, observing simple rules, listening to the recommendations of specialists and observing the sequence of work, you can cope with the task.