Not everyone has the opportunity to purchase a cable reel, or they’re not happy with the product’s parameters, because the extension cord will not fit a long extension cord. Therefore, it is necessary to make the device from improvised materials. Do it yourself with a do-it-yourself reel in a few hours.
The plumbing shop sells the right material to assemble the device. The price of pipes is low, therefore affordable to everyone. Inventory list:
- plastic bay;
- polypropylene pipe;
Surely, any owner of the cottage has an elementary tool.
Any owner of the cottage should have working equipment for making a coil for an extension cord with his own hands. If there are no electric tools, then they can be rented at a construction company. List:
- sharp knife;
- self-tapping screws ;
- soldering iron for plastic;
Instead of a soldering iron for polypropylene, you can use bolts and nuts for fastening pipes.
Assembling a plastic device
All the details are pre-cut and prepared, laying them out at the workplace. It’s easier to get results. How to make a coil for the extension cord with your own hands step by step:
- On a plywood or MDF sheet, draw a circle of suitable diameter. If the material is thin, then it is necessary to make 4 parts in order to further glue them in pairs with quick-drying glue. Workpieces are cut with a jigsaw or hacksaw for metal.
- The resulting elements are symmetrically glued to each other with double-sided tape. The diameter of the sleeve on which the cable will be wound is drawn on cut out plywood pieces of a circle. Cross lines are drawn with the same pitch and dotted at the installation location of the sleeve. Also, one point is located in the center of the wooden disk. The tree is treated with sandpaper at the edges, because it is difficult to make an even cut with a hacksaw.
- Cut 4 metal or aluminum tubes with a diameter of 10 mm along the length of the sleeve, for example - 25 cm. It will take 8 dowels 8-ki. Plastic rods are driven into the tubes with a hammer, in which they must be stably installed.
- At the designated points, holes are drilled with a drill with a diameter slightly smaller than the black self-tapping screw. A hole with a cross section of 22 mm is made in the central mark on a wooden disk.
- A tube is applied to each hole in the circle in the inner part and screwed with screws. It should turn out 4 pins, a sleeve from a plastic pipe is laid on them. If the axis diameter is 15 cm, then the pins must be arranged in accordance with this size. On the reverse side, another wooden disk is mounted and screwed with screws.
AttentionThe plastic sleeve from the pipe must fit snugly onto the metal rods so that it does not rotate while twisting the wire.
Making a tube holder
In the second step, make a stand for the coil of polypropylene. There should be a device for soldering pipes, without which you can not make a coil for an extension cord with your own hands from polypropylene. Progress:
- Make a rectangular lower frame, mounted on the ground. Collect it from plastic parts, corners and tees. On the elongated part, the tee in the center is soldered so that the free exit goes up. A vertical stand is attached so that it is higher than the drum, to which a tee is also attached in the middle, only the output should be directed horizontally into the frame. A horizontal tube is mounted in this hole by soldering - this is the axis for rotation of the coil.
- At the top of the vertical rack, horizontally fix the handle from the tube. At the ends they put furniture plugs. Put the drum on the sleeve made of polypropylene and fix the clip on the edge.
- A hole is drilled in the disk, the plug is removed from the extension cord and the cable is pushed through the wooden circle so that the socket is outside. It is attached to the drum with self-tapping screws. Install the plug back. A wooden short rod (handle) is screwed to the product with a screw. This item will make it easier to wind the wire.
AttentionIt’s better to make a reel for the extension cord with your own hands according to the photo and drawings.
Installation of a wooden drum
From improvised tools make an effective device for winding the wire. Step-by-step assembly:
- A piece of 15 cm long is cut from a log with a diameter of 10-15 cm. 2 wooden disks are made of plywood 1 cm thick. The workpieces are processed with sandpaper so that they do not drive splinter fingers into operation. .
- Circles are screwed with screws on the sides of the log. A hole with a cross section of 22 mm is made in the middle of the wooden disk to make a hole through it so that it passes through another circle.
- Take a flat stick 2 cm thick, from which 22 cm are cut, but if the axis length is 15 cm and the thickness of the discs is 1 cm. They push the part through the log part.
- Long and even sticks are screwed along the edges of the axis from under the handle of a rake or a shovel so that their size is more than a drum. If the diameter of the disc disks is 30 cm, then the axis is screwed in the middle on 50 cm long wooden rods.
- In the upper part, a crossbar from a stick is attached. Used black screws. A hole is made in the disk, the cable is pushed there, the socket is screwed to the circle.
The device is installed with the pins in the ground, with the handle up. Turn the drum by hand until the cable is completely wound. This is the easiest extension coil option. Do it yourself in 1 hour.
To make a coil for a cable extension with your own hands from iron, you need a welding machine. Material for assembly can be found at hand in the country. How to do it:
- Of 2 sheets, circles are cut with a cutter. The edges are grinded.
- In the middle of the workpieces, make a hole with a drill with a diameter of 1.2 cm.
- Cut the iron tube of the desired length with a half-inch cross section. They take a round reinforcement and a grinder cuts off a certain part.
- The disc is placed on the table, the tube is aligned vertically in the center, which is aligned with a square, the part is welded. On the reverse side, they are doing a similar job. Smooth fittings are pushed inside the pipe.
- They construct 2 triangular frames from the corners. In the middle, where the axis will be located, weld a corner horizontally on one and the other workpiece and make holes in the center. The lower part of the triangles is connected by corners, and a handle is mounted at the top.
- The coil is held at the level of the holes for the rod. Reinforce a hole in the hole. On the one hand they attach by welding, and on the other they make a handle for rotating the drum. Also, the input for the cable is burned in the disk. The socket is fixed on a circle.
You get a durable home-made coil for an extension cord. Do it yourself, make and color it and test it for work anyone can do.
Carrying the carrier from scratch
From one edge of the cable, the protective sheath is cut a few centimeters. Carefully remove the wires from the copper wires so that they are exposed. The carrier is disassembled, the wire is laid in a special groove, and the wiring is passed through the clamps, after having unscrewed the small bolts. The fasteners are clamped back with the wires, put on the top cover and tighten the box from the bottom with bolts or screws.
Everything is the same with a plug. Also, the protective coating is removed from the cable by 2-3 cm. The wires are removed from the wires. Dismantle the fork and unscrew the bolts on the mounts. Wiring is passed to these places, the clamps are twisted back. The cable is installed in the groove. Put a lid on top and tighten it with a bolt.