It is believed that massage of newborns refers to procedures that help the baby grow healthy. The baby becomes easier to acquire the skills important for its development: it begins to hold its head, roll over on its tummy, crawl, sit down and so on. How to massage children at home, most young mothers are interested. The technique is quite simple, but there are a number of rules and restrictions that you should familiarize yourself with in advance.
Why do we need massage?
"How to massage the child?" - A question that interests most parents, but not everyone asks about its necessity. And the benefits from it are great:
- Positive effect on the circulatory system.
- Normalization of metabolic processes in the body.
- Strengthening immunity.
- Improving appetite and quality of sleep.
- Positive effect on mood.
Moreover, a massage for a newborn does not have to be done by a professional, the warmth and tenderness of mother’s hands sometimes bring much more benefit. Moreover, anyone can learn this business. It is important to follow a few simple rules and carefully listen to the baby’s reaction during the manipulations.
Doctors advise young mothers to massage their newborns no earlier than 2-3 weeks after it birth Moreover, attention is often focused on the umbilical wound. Until it is completely healed, the procedure is undesirable.
The first massage session should be carried out under the strict supervision of a specialist who can show how to massage the newborn correctly and safely.
Unfortunately, nowadays you can meet a lot of “brave” mothers who somewhere heard that the rest are doing massage for their children, and immediately decide to repeat this procedure at home. In order to avoid such mistakes, you should familiarize yourself with the contraindications:
- If the child has inflammatory processes in the body or skin rashes, it is better to postpone the massage until the baby recovers.
- The baby is overexcited, naughty and clearly in a bad mood.
- A newborn has a congenital heart defect.
- The presence of an umbilical hernia.
- Rickets during an exacerbation.
In addition, there are a number of contraindications. To determine if your child can be massaged, consult a pediatrician.
Before deciding whether children can massage, you should familiarize yourself with its types. Depending on the goal pursued, massage is:
- Therapeutic and preventive.
The first type of massage is usually prescribed by a doctor and is performed only if the following diseases are identified in the newborn:
- Hypertonicity or hypotension.
- Congenital dislocation of the joint.
- Dysplasia of the hip joint.
- Acquired or congenital clubfoot.
- Umbilical hernia.
- Problems from the central nervous system.
- Flat feet, deformity of the legs X- or O-shaped.
- Muscle torticollis.
An individual massage technique is used for each of the above conditions.
Frequency of completion
How often does a child massage? Preventive is recommended for all children if there are no contraindications. Usually, experts recommend making the procedure courses. Once a quarter is enough. If there is evidence, they go to the procedures more often.
On average, a session lasts from 20 to 45 minutes. Initially, the massage does not last long, but gradually the duration increases. Thus, the baby gets used to the procedure and does not get stress. It is worth noting that some children cry during manipulations, the further course depends on the parents and the recommendations of a specialist. Most babies, by contrast, love massage and enjoy doing it. The standard course consists of 11-12 sessions. But the positive dynamics can be seen only after the 12th session.
Therefore, a massage is not just needed for a newborn, he needs itTherefore, the regular conduct of this procedure favorably affects the development of the baby. But this does not mean that it should be done constantly. It is important to take breaks between courses, since massage is a serious physical load for a small organism, and accordingly, a crumb will definitely need some time to recover.
What will be needed?
How to massage a newborn child every young mom should know. Almost all babies from birth need this procedure. Special massage devices are not required, but you need to prepare:
- An even horizontal surface. It can be a changing or dining table, hard mattress, floor, and so on.
- Several diapers. Give preference to disposable products, because during the massage the babies relax and can wet the surface.
- If mom has dry hands, you should use baby cream. If wet, then dusting.
Massaging a child a month is considered absolutely normal. Now very popular prophylactic massage for newborns. Among other things, this procedure allows you to better establish a close relationship between the child and parents.
Before proceeding with the procedure, you should follow a few rules:
- Ventilate the room for 15-20 minutes. Time directly depends on weather conditions.
- The air temperature in the room should be 18-22 degrees.
- Prepare everything you need for a massage. All devices should be at hand, because during the procedure you should always be near the baby, otherwise he risks sliding off the table.
- Remove from your hands all the decorations that may interfere with you. These are rings, bracelets, watches and other accessories.
- Wash your hands.
- Undress the baby. Pampers must also be removed.
During the massage, the child should be full and calm. Warm your palms before starting the procedure.
There are four methods for carrying out the procedure:
How to massage a month-old baby? Children under the age of 3 months are recommended to conduct the procedure solely on the basis of stroking. This rule is very important to observe, since the central nervous system is still improving in the crumbs during this period.
How to massage children?
The algorithm is as follows:
- Each stroking should be performed about 4-6 times.
- The skin of the baby should not move under the fingers of an adult. If this happens, then maybe you are putting a lot of pressure on the delicate body of the baby.
- Start the massage from the head, then move smoothly to the face.
- Then stroke the palms towards the outside of the shoulder , and then return down the inside.
- Gently massage the baby’s palms using the technique of opening the baby’s clamped cam. That is, you are carefully trying to open the baby’s cam by stroking.
- The breast is stroked with the entire inner surface of the hands towards the sides, observing the line of the ribs.
- The tummy is massaged with the palm of one hand clockwise around the navel . The procedure can be performed with legs bent at the knees. This situation contributes to the passage of gazikov in the baby.
- How to massage the child’s legs? Feet should be ironed in the direction from the heels to the hips. Knees should not be massaged and stroked. This area must remain intact during the procedure.
In addition, you can massage the active points located on feet of the baby. If the baby already knows how to independently hold the head, then you should turn it over to the tummy and pat the back from the lower back to the shoulders. This procedure helps strengthen your back and neck.
As you may have noticed, there is nothing complicated in properly massage the child. The main thing is tenderness and affection, and the baby will tell you all the other nuances of the procedure yourself.
Tips for mommies
Before you begin this procedure, you need to ask the correct technique.
How to massage children if you are very afraid of damage or make the baby hurt or unpleasant? Probably, such a thought arises in most mothers. Learning the procedure is quite simple, moreover, this manipulation is absolutely safe for kids. But sometimes step-by-step instructions may not be enough, so mothers should take lessons from an experienced specialist or watch the lessons on video on the Internet. Remember that we are fully responsible for the life and health of the child, so take this seriously. Moreover, a massage lesson can be conducted by a health sister from the clinic during one of the visits to the newborn.
If your the baby is absolutely healthy, and he has no contraindications to performing such procedures, then it will be enough for you to learn how to perform a general strengthening massage. A little practice, and your movements will become clear, correct and confident. If you carry out the procedure at the same time, it will become part of your daily ritual. But many still tend to believe that this is a serious physical activity for the baby, so it is necessary to take breaks. In this regard, you can hear a lot of conflicting reviews. If you do not trust yourself, consult with experienced pediatricians or your mother, grandmother, and so on.
Famous pediatric doctor Komarovsky recommends that parents do massage for their children on their own, along with daily evening procedures. The scheme that the doctor offers includes: massage, gymnastics, water procedures, pre-feeding before bedtime.