A headache can occur against the background of stress, overwork, sudden jumps in blood pressure and other factors. If the discomfort is severe, doctors are advised to take pain medication. But these drugs are not always at hand. In some cases, taking tablets is not advisable. To help yourself, you can try to relieve a headache in one of the most effective ways.
Massage helps with headaches. It restores blood circulation, relieves spasms, and relaxes muscles. People suffering from migraines, massage should be done at least 2 times a week. This is not only useful, but also a very pleasant procedure. You need to perform it carefully, massaging the scalp with your fingertips, gradually moving from the back of the head to the forehead. If the pain is severe, you need to work on special points, slightly pressing on them with index fingers. 5-10 clicks are enough. A person has several such points:
- Yin-tan or the point of the third eye is between the eyebrows, where the bridge of the nose goes to the forehead. She is also responsible for relieving eye fatigue.
- Quan-ju are symmetrical points located in the inner corners of the eyebrows. They need to be massaged with your fingers for 1 minute. This will help relieve pain and improve visual acuity.
- Ju-liao are located on both sides of the nostrils in approximately the same line with the eyes. They can be easily found by feeling the groove in the lower part of the cheekbone. Pressure on this area relieves headache and toothache.
- Tien-ju are located in the back of the head, in the middle between the ear and the beginning of the spine. Exposure to them helps to relieve even very severe migraines.
- Toy Wei are located on the scalp on both sides, 2-3 cm from the beginning of the scalp in the temporal region. In these areas, small dimples are felt. Massage of points helps to relieve pain localized in the frontal part of the head and around the temples.
Self-massage should not cause discomfort. No need to press hard on selected points. After the procedure, you should definitely relax. You can return to your usual affairs only after 10 minutes if relief comes.
Pain can also occur amid excessive stress. You need to give rest to the whole body from time to time. If the pain is not pulsating, but aching in nature, it is recommended to ensure the flow of fresh air into the room, take a comfortable position. You can lie down by placing a high pillow under your head. A cooling compress and quiet music will help you relax. It’s better to turn on some quiet melody without words. Yoga breathing on the stomach allows you to relieve stress. You need to accustom yourself to clear your head of all extraneous thoughts at least for a short time. This is especially true for people who often have a headache. Relaxation helps prevent another migraine attack. If possible, you need to sleep. After waking up, the condition returns to normal.
Headache may occur due to stagnation of blood in the neck. At the same time, tension is usually felt in the muscles. To get rid of unpleasant sensations, you need to stretch your neck well, raising your head up, then lowering it to the sides, and complete the exercise by smoothly rolling in a circle. At the end point of each movement, you need to do sipping, fix the neck and head in this position for 10 seconds.
Warm or cold compress
Exposure to heat or cold will help to cope with a headache. But in such a situation, it is important not to harm yourself. In some cases, warm compresses are contraindicated. If the pain is pulsating, localized in the temporal part of the head or in the forehead, you can wrap ice in a towel and attach to the problem area. You can not get carried away with ice compresses, as this can provoke the development of other diseases. The exposure time of the cold on the same area should not exceed 15-20 seconds, after which you need to take a break. It is safer to attach a metal object or towel dampened with cold water to your forehead or temples. If the pain is pulling, dull, localized mainly in the back of the head, you need to apply a hot compress to this area. A good effect is given to bags filled with heated salt.
Sweet hot tea often helps with headaches. Sometimes unpleasant sensations occur after emotional or physical overload, during a diet. After a glass of sweet drink you can feel the relief. Tea will be even more effective if you add a couple of mint leaves or a circle of lemon to it.
Aromatherapy can be used as a method to reduce headaches. Essential oils of almond, eucalyptus, peppermint, lavender eliminate unpleasant sensations, normalize blood pressure, improve sleep. You can apply a little oil on your wrist or add a few drops to a relaxing bath. It is very important to comply with the measure. Inhaling concentrated essential oils can lead to the opposite effect and even burns to the airways. Aromatherapy should not be used for severe headaches if the body's reaction to a specific composition is not known. You need to test the oil in advance or after the pain has subsided.