Regardless of the type of construction and material of the door, the hinges are considered its working mechanism. Without them, it is not possible to open or close the sashes. Almost always, the loops cut identical. But still there are exceptions when, depending on the device hardware, certain details are present. What types of door hinges are there? How to do their installation yourself? We will consider all this in our article today.
Varieties of mechanisms
Installing door hinges on at first glance it may seem difficult, but it is far from the case. The most important thing is to choose the right accessories. Then there will be no problems. Depending on the design, the loops may be:
- Straight. The most popular. Consist of side mounting plates and hinge. They are also called butterflies or card.
- Corner outwardly similar to straight, but their side plates are made of corners.
- Screwed represent a rotary axis with studs instead of mounting plates welded to the side. Recommended for use with lightweight panels.
- dden and Italian is a hinge that is recessed into the body of the door unit. Such fittings are mainly installed on expensive entrance doors.
In addition, the loops also differ in the installation method. In this case, they are:
- Overhead - are fixed to the surface of the box and door using self-tapping screws without cutting a recess.
- Mortise - are mounted in the recesses.
- Screw-in - instead of mounting plates equipped with pins that are screwed into the body of the door block.
In turn, the hinges are still left-handed, right-handed and universal. As for universal ones, they can be mounted both on the left and on the right side.
The installation of loops should always begin with the preparation of the required tools. You will need to take care of the presence of a hammer, chisel, screwdriver, electric drill, pencil, screwdriver and level. nges on the door will not be possible without the listed tools. In the event that a considerable number of frames are planned, it is best to use a manual milling cutter.
Any hinge installation must begin with the marking. The installation process depending on the device may have certain nuances. Installation of interior hinges should be carried out at a distance from the upper and lower edges on average from 20 to 25 centimeters. At the same time, there must be no chips, knots and other defects in the attachment points. If there is even a slight defect on the canvas, the loops should be offset. When installing the loops, you must first outline all the contours of the mounting plates and pins, and then proceed with the installation work.
Features of the installation
As soon as the markings are applied, you can take up the installation work. But before performing work, you should definitely determine the presence of nuances. Most often, the main problem is the large weight of the canvas. It can be solved by tapping the third element in the center of the canvas. Installing hinges on interior doors basically does not cause any problems. They are light and hollow. Before installing the hinges, you must first decide in which direction the doors will open.
How the hinges will be inserted depends entirely on their type. But, despite this, during installation, you should adhere to certain rules common to all types. Precise marking must be carried out. The functionality of the entire structure depends on how accurately it is performed. Even slight deviations can lead to a skew of the canvas, which will cause difficulties or the inability to open the door. Loops should be fastened from the corner of the canvas at a distance of not less than twenty centimeters.
Particular attention must be paid to reliable fixation. The hinges must support the weight of the entire web. To ensure this, the hardware must be fixed correctly and securely.
The installation of “butterfly” loops can be performed even after mounting the door frame, since the plates are not attached to the end, but to the front surface of the canvas. The installation procedure is carried out in the following sequence:
- the door first wedges firmly in the box while observing the gaps around the perimeter;
- then the horizontal and vertical are checked, the level is used for this;
- then the butterfly is applied and marking the points of the location of the screws;
- after that, holes are drilled according to the marks and the hinges are screwed to the body of the door block with screws.
Installation overhead loops is considered the simplest operation that does not call difficulties even for those who never work with such did not face. Due to the ease of installation, it is the overhead structures that are considered the best option for beginners. In this case, all work will be performed without creating a sidebar, which will greatly simplify the whole process. But at the same time, it is imperative to accurately markup to ensure the aesthetic appearance of the entire structure.
Installation of corner hinges
Installing corner loops is practically no different from mounting overheads. The only caveat is the presence of a bent strap. Basically, such hinges are placed on the interior doors with a narthex. The whole sequence of steps during installation is exactly the same as when installing patch loops. One part is attached to the canvas, and the other to the box.
Installing mortise loops
Mounting a hidden installation loop is much more difficult. For the implementation of the installation will require a power tool. Installation of mortise loops is performed in the following sequence:
- first of all, marking the location of the awnings on the end of the canvas and the rack of the box;
- then, using the router, grooves are made, they are given the desired form;
- before installation, the hardware is disassembled and a part of the canopy with large dimensions is mounted on the box, and the smallest part is on the sash;
- both parts are fixed in the recesses using self-tapping screws.
Mortise models are considered the most popular when fixing doors. They are durable and reliable, but you will have to sacrifice a decorative look.
Installation of bar hinges
nges of this type are installed on the door a little differently, since the product is two spring mechanisms. Thanks to this design, the door leaf can freely open completely in any direction and return to its original position. To correctly insert the bar hinges, you must adhere to the following recommendations:
- first you need to loosen the tension of the springs with a key or hexagon;
- on the door frame and the end of the sash, mark the mounting plates ;
- select the recesses;
- fix fittings with screws.
After performing all the above steps, you need to adjust the springs. They need to be pulled, but do not overdo it. Tighten by screw clockwise. In the process of adjustment, you need to check the smoothness of opening the door. Adjustment must be approached responsibly. During operation, such hinges must be systematically tightened.
In the operation of each door unit, hinges play a large role. Without correctly selected canopies, the canvas itself is considered just a blank. The correct installation of the hinges depends on how correctly the set of accessories is selected and the installation process is carried out correctly. In each case, the installation is performed differently, depending on their type. All the nuances during installation should be adhered to unconditionally, since even minor errors can lead to distortion, which will negatively affect the aesthetic appearance of the door and the convenience of its further operation.