Plastic windows are in great demand now. They took a leading place among other products in terms of accessibility, convenience. Many are interested in installing slopes and window sills with their own hands, without resorting to the help of specialists. This can easily be done if you know a number of rules and adhere to the sequence of work.
Installing window sills and window slopes is the last step in working with metal-plastic structures. The sequence of this work is very easy, and you do not need to be a professional in business in order to beautifully and correctly perform it. If the thermal insulation is correctly carried out, then there will be no need to install slopes and window sills. But for accuracy and beauty, this is a prerequisite.
What are slopes?
This is a window openings that can be both outside and inside over the entire area of the product. Their purpose is to hide mounting elements (joints, fasteners, frames) and give beauty to the product. The slope is decorative. With the installation of his product takes on a complete look. This process is not difficult. Together with the window they are involved in the conservation of heat and sound insulation. In addition, it serves as a decor element.
Installation of the windowsill and slopes of PVC: conditions
What is important to know? According to experts, an important condition is to establish a window sill without protrusions forward. Otherwise, it will block the battery, interfere with warm air. An important role in the installation work is the composition of the material of the window sills and the correct installation of the window. After the product (window) is put in place, the next stage begins. Namely, the installation of slopes and window sills on plastic windows. Let’s take a look step by step:
- We need to make the window sill slightly out of the opening and have support on the wall.
- For further installation of the strip, the width of the protrusion should not exceed it.
- You need to be extremely accurate and accurate. Do not apply strong pressure on the windowsill.
To install the slopes and windowsill on the PVC windows do not need special tools and professionalism. A saw or a jigsaw (electric) will be enough.
It must be taken into account that there is a risk of condensation (at the junction of cold and warm air). And due to the humidity to which the product is exposed, the service life can be much reduced. To avoid this, it is necessary to separate the wall from the window sill with thermal insulation. Then the product will not deteriorate and will last longer.
The process of fixing (fixing) must be done with construction foam. With the help of it, in addition to fastening products, empty places will be filled, there will be good thermal protection. It is important to remember that the installation quality affects the durability of the product.
Installation on plastic windows
The principle of installation of this type does not differ from the method described above. With the right approach and care, you can easily install plastic window sills and slopes. Most often they are installed in panel houses. If there is a product with large dimensions, it should be shortened by cutting back. The order of installation of slopes inside the room:
- The product must be placed in the transition profile.
- Fasten with wedges (plastic or wood).
- For the exact location of the window sill it is necessary to make a series of measurements (determine the length between the walls at the window, the width of the opening of the outer edge, the distance from the wall to the window).
- The prepared product should be slightly smaller than the opening. This is for easy installation. But there should not be big differences, otherwise the slopes will not match. You’ll have to take a new part and do it all over again.
- It is necessary that the parts protruding behind the window sill are perfectly identical.
How to put the window sill:
- The first step is to prepare a workplace. Remove dirt and debris in the space under the window. Leave the surface moist.
- When mounting with vapor barrier, the product should be larger than the hole for it.
- The part (vapor barrier tape) should be glued to the frame on the narrow side, and the side that wider - after applying the foam.
- Then you need to fill the voids with foam. It should be applied gradually, in layers, so that no voids remain.
- After the foam reaches a size of 5 cm (half of the product), after 15 minutes it must be completely filled.
- that this tool will expand and leave a little space for it (about three quarters).
- You should install the wooden bars from the edge of the window so that there is support. The size should be such that the product can easily be placed in the opening and at the same time there should not be a void.
- Place the bars in a horizontal position or with a slight slope in the direction of the room so that the product is even.
- Then you need to foam the hole between the bars.
- You also can’t apply too much foam, because the windowsill will begin to deform over time (take the shape of an arc). You can fill it with special material or use only a small layer of foam.
- The next step is to install the window sill on the bars and fill the remaining space with foam.
- Then place the heavy object on top for 12 hours .
Necessary tools and materials
The first thing you will need is a panel (plastic ) In rooms where narrow slopes are provided, an ordinary plastic panel will do, without any coatings. And in brick houses it is advisable to use special sandwich panels.
What you need for this work:
- plastic strips (P and F-shaped);
- 15 mm rail (wooden);
- construction stapler (with brackets);
- level for flatness of the product;
- construction knives and scissors (for cutting metal);
- silicone (white )
The procedure for installing slopes
First, from the outside you need fix the rails (with a drill and self-tapping screws). To do this, use a level for maximum accuracy. During the installation of the support, there is no need for the most even arrangement of the rails. They will be closed. With self-tapping screws, a line is drawn along the edge of the window, where then you will need to mount the panel. The next step is to install the strip (Form F). This part should be identical to the size of the slope, the rest you just need to remove with scissors.
The bar (start) should be fixed to the rail with a stapler. It is necessary to fix for the strip located in the lower part, where the plastic will then fit. The bar can also serve as a disguise for wallpaper with defects. Next, you need to cut the panel, following the exact measurement. First, you need to insert it into the distant bar (start), and then into another (near), filling the space with a heater. Thus, a design is obtained, due to which heat is retained. For curved joints, you can use silicone (white). He will well hide the unevenness of work. Knowing all this, it is easy to understand the installation of slopes and window sills.
Use of wooden products
Wooden parts are notable for their safety and environmental friendliness. They also give the product home comfort and special beauty. The positive aspects of wooden products:
- materials do not have chemical impurities;
- give the room a special cosiness;
Products made of this material have a density and do not deform under the influence of temperature. To increase the service life, you can apply a layer of varnish.
Installation of wooden window sills and slopes on plastic windows. Features
There are 2 ways to install wooden slopes and window sills. A plastic product and wood blend well with each other. You can install them on the foam (mounting) and on special elements that are fixed. In the first case, the parts are connected separately to the construction foam. It is necessary to ensure that the angles coincide evenly. Next, foam should be placed on the surface of the window frame. You can not apply much, as it will increase. It is necessary to connect the openings with slopes. In the case of mounting on fasteners, more effort is required. Because first you need to attach the fasteners to support the panels.
Before you start installing slopes and window sills, you need to study everything well. And if you are not sure, then it is better to use the services of specialists in order to avoid unnecessary financial costs and loss of time.