Gas communications in the form of pipes is an indispensable attribute of a kitchen room in which there is a gas stove, oven or column. Often they spoil the interior with their appearance, disrupt the design and cause irritation to the owners who are trying to hide them. The question of how to close the gas pipe in the kitchen and at the same time not violate the rules of operation and safety requirements worries many. Consider ways to solve this problem.
Rules and regulations
When deciding how to hide a gas pipe, you need to take into account the requirements and standards for gas communications in the apartment.
- It is necessary to provide quick and easy access to the gas pipe in the event of a gas leak if it is damaged.
- It is strictly forbidden to hide the pipes in unbroken solid non-removable ducts and in punched holes in the wall to prevent explosion due to accumulated leakage gas.
- Even when installing boxes that are easy to disassemble, and well secured ventilation, you should coordinate your intentions with the gas services.
- It is forbidden to move gas pipes and metering devices on their own. Only specialists authorized by the gas service can do this.
- Communications can only be masked using materials intended for such work.
- Painting is a prerequisite. It protects pipes from corrosion and extends their life.
- When working with gas pipes, it is forbidden to attach heavy objects to them, thereby exerting an additional load.
Safety during work, as well as in subsequent operation of gas equipment, it should always remain a priority issue.
The easiest, most affordable and affordable way to mask pipes is to color the pipes . If you approach this matter creatively, annoying communications can be made completely invisible or, conversely, turned into a memorable element of decoration. The advantage of this method is that access to the pipe remains free, so there will be no complaints from gas services to you.
The easiest way is to paint the pipes in the same color as the walls, achieving the most matching colors . A white pipe against the background of a white wall becomes almost invisible.
Some people prefer to paint gas communications in contrasting colors. Such a solution is suitable for those kitchens, in the design of which saturated bright shades prevail. It’s good if the color of the pipe matches any interior detail - curtains or kitchen furniture.
If the design of the room allows, communications can be painted with golden or silver paint, and also apply geometric or floral patterns to them. You can paint a pipe in the form of a tree trunk, for example, birch. To make this design look even more original and organically fit into the interior, you can draw several leaflets next to the wall.
To paint pipes use traditional types of paints.
Some, in pursuit of originality, decorate pipes by gluing them with glass balls using “Moment” glue. Someone makes a tree trunk out of a pipe by wrapping it with twine and decorating it with leaves cut out of green plastic.
Another option - disguise disguise. How to close the gas pipe in the kitchen this way?
- The surface is carefully cleaned, freeing from old paint, grease and dirt.
- A paper or fabric napkin is smeared with PVA glue and the upper layer is separated with a pattern.
- Put it on the pipe and gently smooth it.
- Grease it again with glue.
- When it dries, cover it with varnish.
Some people simply close the pipe, hanging it with magnets.
What is railing
Reiling is a metal rod attached to the wall. With a variety of hooks, holders and shelves, it is easy to place various kitchen utensils on it - a ladle, colander, pan covers, towels, etc. The proposed method is to create the appearance that the gas pipe passing through the wall is actually the railing that the designer intended. To this end, the pipe is painted so that it matches the color as much as possible with the railing, which usually has a bronze, copper or chromed metal shade.
The railing is installed directly under the pipe and various kitchen utensils are hung on it. Close to the railing and matching the color of the pipe, it will create the illusion that it is part of a common system.
How to hide a horizontal pipe
A horizontally located gas communication, laid high enough, you can hide by setting a wide shelf under it. After various kitchen utensils are placed on it, the pipe will cease to be noticeable at all, especially if it is painted to match the color of the wall. Of course, the shelf should be installed in compliance with all safety measures, so as not to damage the gas pipeline.
If you place kitchen cabinets instead of the shelf, the pipe will be even less noticeable. Cabinets are deeper than the shelves, so the gas pipeline will be practically invisible from below. With this method, all safety rules are respected - free access to communications and adequate ventilation.
Using furniture for disguise
Using furniture installed in the kitchen, you can hide not only pipes arranged horizontally and vertically, but also gas equipment - meters and even columns.
For this purpose, you can order a special false cabinet or remodel existing I am a kitchen set. On the back wall of the cabinet, as well as on its upper and lower surfaces, holes are made for pipes. To hide the gas riser, a pencil case is usually used. Horizontal pipes are hidden in an ordinary cabinet. Inside the cabinet that conceals the gas pipe, you can store various kitchen utensils. The main thing is that this cabinet should be well ventilated, so for ventilation in the most inconspicuous places it will be necessary to make several holes or install a grill and in the future make sure that they are not covered by cans and pans.
The design of the furniture that conceals the pipe should provide quick and easy access to communications.
All of the above methods only allow you to mask the pipes. If you want to completely hide their presence, you can build a box. The material for such a box is usually gypsum board, plywood, plastic or MDF. Many people are interested in this - is it possible to close gas pipes with drywall? It is possible, but subject to the following conditions:
- The box should not be monolithic. If necessary, access to communications should be provided in the shortest possible time. Therefore, at least part of the duct must be disassembled easily and quickly.
- An indispensable condition is to install ventilation in the duct in the form of perforations or grilles. In its absence, gas, even with a small leak, will accumulate inside the box, which will lead to disastrous consequences.
Failure to comply with these requirements will entail a risk to the life and health of the inhabitants of the apartment, as well as fines from the gas service.
Material for the box
What material is better to choose for the construction of the box? Currently, the most popular material for these purposes is drywall. Is it possible to close the gas pipes with drywall? Yes you can. This material is characterized by advantages that make it indispensable for these purposes:
- it is a heat and waterproofing material;
- it lends itself to bending, which makes it possible to create rounded shapes;
- lightweight, which means that it is most suitable for the construction of removable structures;
- it can be painted in tone with the rest of the interior, as a result of which the box becomes as if its integral part Stu.
For the construction of the box is best to use fire-resistant gypsum board types.
One of the drawbacks of such a duct is the decrease in the useful area of the kitchen, so gas pipes under the drywall are usually hidden in spacious kitchen rooms.
Another disadvantage of the drywall is its inability to hold a lot of weight. Therefore, wondering if it is possible to close gas pipes with drywall, decide in advance whether you are going to hang shelves on the box or install a TV.
Installing the box
Depending on the location of the pipes, the box may be vertical or horizontal. To install a drywall box for gas pipes you will need:
- moisture-proof drywall;
- profile or slats for the frame;
- self-tapping screws;
- scissors for metal.
How to sew a gas plasterboard pipe? The algorithm of actions in this case is as follows:
- First, you should calculate the size of the structure. The distance from the pipes to the frame must be at least ten centimeters. It is also necessary to take into account the need for free access to the valves on the gas pipe.
- The frame is installed. The profile or slats are fastened with screws to the wall.
- The resulting structure is measured and marked out with a sheet of drywall. Details of the future box are cut from it.
- Fix them on the frame with self-tapping screws using a screwdriver. Irregularities are putty, the cracks are covered with mounting foam.
- To access the tap or counter, plumbing hatches are installed in the drywall.
- The box is primed and then painted in tone with the walls, glued with wallpaper or decoupage.
Thus, the question of whether it is possible to close the gas pipes with drywall depends only on the availability for this space design and from compliance security.