During the overhaul process, there are a lot of nuances regarding the decoration of many surfaces, but the flooring is the most interesting. This is true, as many masters claim that the choice and installation of floor coverings is a capital investment in repairs. Most often, linoleum is used for decoration, but it also needs to be properly laid. At the time of coating replacement, the question arises as to whether linoleum can be laid on old linoleum. Having decided on such a nuance of installation, you can save time, financial strength. What will be the verdict?
To lay or not to lay - that is the question
There is no clear answer to the question whether linoleum can be laid on old linoleum - each master has his own opinion on this about. Most are inclined to believe that it is still possible to stack new material on the old, but not always.
There are several points that will allow you to decide on the possibility:
- First, what you should pay attention to is the state of reinforcement of the old coating. If it is normal, then on top you can put another layer of linoleum.
- Cracks on the old coating are quite acceptable. Pits and the absence of pieces are unacceptable for the secondary coating of such a base.
- It is contraindicated to lay new material on the old one if mold or fungus is present on the coating.
- Old linoleum with traces of warping is not suitable as " substrates ”for the new coverage option.
In order not to risk new material, you can remove old coating option, eliminate the flaws of the floor itself. Then lay down the old material and only then install the new one.
When it’s definitely not worth laying new material on the old
When evaluating an existing coating it is sometimes difficult to determine exactly whether linoleum can be laid on the old. Factors that precisely preclude secondary flooring with linoleum:
- New materials cannot be laid on very old materials. The substrate on such a product is usually of poor quality, and therefore not suitable for the base.
- If before that the room was used for other purposes and the coating accumulated a lot of dirt and bacteria, then it is strictly forbidden to leave it for reuse.
- If the old coating has peeled off or is behind the concrete floor, then you should not lay a new construction “product” on it.
- An uneven floor is a 100% recommendation not to put new material on the old one.
- If the apartment is recently purchased and the repair is redone after the old owners, then leaving the old base is undesirable.
If you want to make everything new and it’s also better to clean to completely dismantle the old coating.
Features of such a finish
When the answer to the question whether linoleum can be laid on old linoleum is found, it is important to familiarize yourself with the features of this finish. There are many advantages:
- In the absence of dismantling the old coating, a lot of time is saved.
- There is no need for thorough preparation of the base.
- Thanks to the presence of two layers of finishing material, thermal insulation and sound insulation are improved .
- Installation is clean because there is no construction debris that occurs after removal of the old linoleum.
- Financial savings, as there is no need for laying the substrate and finishing the floor.
There are also flaws. The service life of such a ceiling can be less - linoleum can collect in waves. Sometimes, in order to leave the old foundation, it is nevertheless necessary to dismantle all the material, carry out finishing work and only then lay the finish base.
Principles of choosing linoleum
If the decision is as to whether lay the new linoleum on the old one, it’s already been found, it’s worth taking care of choosing the right material:
- For household use, you need to choose a base with a thickness of at least 0.35-0.6 mm. The semi-commercial or commercial version of the product has the best wear resistance.
- A substrate must be present on newly purchased material. If you need additional noise or heat insulation, it is advisable to choose a foamed substrate.
- An ideal option would be a homogeneous type of linoleum. The only drawback of this option may be the manifestation of dark streaks and spots during operation.
In addition, you need to consider cross-country , functionality and the principle of mechanical impact in the premises. These factors will significantly influence the choice of material.
Recommendations for checking the material in the store
In order not to be mistaken with the choice of linoleum, you need to conduct several tests in the store itself:
- Check the quality of homogeneous linoleum - bend corner. If small cracks form on the bend, then the production technology has been violated. During the operation of this product option, non-laundered stains and strips will appear on the surface over time.
- It is imperative to conduct basic tests that are relevant when choosing this material - to check the viciousness when bending, the degree of fastening of the substrate by rolling, product quality certificates.
- Find out all the features and characteristics of the product from a sales assistant. It is advisable to choose products of famous brands.
If all the criteria are normal, then it’s quite possible to lay such linoleum on top of the old.
Tools for work
You can to lay linoleum on old linoleum without suitable tools for this? Of course notList of necessary accessories for carrying out operational work on laying:
- Steel ruler, which will become relevant when cutting and cutting pieces from a common canvas.
- Metal tape measure, pencils and marker.
- Construction knife with a removable blade. Additionally prepare blades of various configurations.
- Narrow and wide spatula for applying and distributing glue.
- Roller, boards and vanes for pressing and leveling linoleum. Such tools are needed to remove excess glue and air from under the material.
- Device for cutting and “welding” seams between strips and parts of the material.
Depending on the features old tools may require additional tools.
Preparatory work: preparing the surface
Before you lay linoleum on the old linoleum, you should inquire about the rules for preparing the old surface. It is carried out in several stages:
- The baseboard needs to be removed first.
- All places where the old coating was peeled off from the floor must be glued. By the same principle, air bubbles are eliminated.
- The old linoleum needs to be washed and all stains and dirt should be removed from its surface. Allow to dry.
- "Weld" the seams between the strips of canvases. Cracks can be repaired with silicone sealant and smoothed out with a rubber spatula. Wait until it solidifies.
- Degrease the surface and then prime.
The preparatory stage of the flooring is completely completed.
The principle of laying the material on the old flooring
In order not to spoil the new flooring, it is important to familiarize yourself with the work algorithm in order to correctly lay linoleum on the old linoleum. This procedure is carried out in several main stages, after preliminary preparation of the old foundation:
- The paintings are cut along the contours of the room. Spread the rolls with a knife, cut and cut along the walls with a construction knife. It is recommended to leave a margin of 5 cm along the walls.
- Leave the canvas for 2-3 days on the floor so that the canvas straightens and takes the desired shape. Before attaching directly again, check the correspondence of the joints and cuts.
- Lubricate the inside of the linoleum (glue the adhesive tape strips) and put it in place.
- Press the material to the floor using special boards and rollers. coating, remove air and excess glue from under the cover.
- If there are seams between the strips, you need to “weld” them. A special tool for welding seams will cope with such work.
- Glue strips of masking tape on both sides of the joints, which will help to keep the rest of the fabric clean.
- Lubricate the joint space with the compound directly from the tube. Remove excess material with a rubber spatula.
- When the “welding” hardens, remove the masking tape.
In the same way, other canvases of the material are fixed. After complete drying, skirting boards and sills are attached.
Recommendation for inexperienced masters
Inexperienced masters often wonder how to lay linoleum on the old linoleum itself.
The procedure is carried out according to the standard algorithm, but there is an additional recommendation - Before the final installation, it is necessary to check several times the correctness of the cutting, the seaming of the seams.
That is, you need to follow folk wisdom - measure seven times, and cut one .
Secrets regarding decoration
Instructions on how to lay a new linoleum on the old, quite understandable and simple. But there are several nuances that can simplify the procedure and help maintain a high quality result.
Secrets for performing quality work:
- To linoleum straightened and lay down as evenly as possible, it is advisable to spread the material 2 days before installation.
- It is important to maintain the optimal microclimate, at which the temperature should be from 18 to 24 degrees, and humidity should not exceed 65%.
- No need to use glue or adhesive tape for installation of linoleum, if the room area is small. Skirting boards and sills will provide the necessary fastening.
- To install a new linoleum on a new one, it is advisable to use a special type of glue, which guarantees increased strength.
- Until the glue dries, you cannot open the windows for ventilation or change temperature, humidity.
If you follow these simple recommendations, then the installation result will be effective. Linoleum will lie flat, will not puff during operation and will last a very long time.