Ilya Lazerson, one of the leading Russian culinary specialists, president of the Guild of Chefs in St. Petersburg, author of many books, as well as a TV and radio host about cooking , the founder of his own gastronomic school, there is no particular need to introduce domestic gourmets. For several years, in one of the most popular culinary shows - "Food TV" - in his unique unique manner, the master broadcasts about the intricacies of the so-called bachelor cuisine. Many lovers of delicious food are impressed by the approaches proclaimed by them to create certain dishes. How to cook, using the famous principles of Lazerson, beef goulash, a favorite dish of many? We’ll talk about this in our article.
Real Hungarian goulash: what is the dish? story
According to legend, the authors of the first goulash were Hungarian shepherds, guarding countless cow herds among green alpine meadows. The very word "goulash" in translation means "shepherd." The choice of the main product in the diet was prompted by people who devoted themselves to this occupation, by the very logic of their daily lives. Beef has become such a product. It was from her that the first Hungarian goulash was prepared.
Today, this famous dish has overgrown with many variations. But the main laws are preserved. It is believed that the best parts of beef carcass to create a dish are shank and shank. Among its mandatory components are onions and paprika. Most recipes also include the inclusion of tomatoes and potatoes. But options are known to exclude the presence of these vegetables. Almost always, in the Hungarian goulash there are chips (original dumplings).
Each modern hostess has her own specialty goulash recipe. Mushrooms, celery, beans and other ingredients are added to this dish today. The best utensil for cooking is considered a cauldron. But it also works well in a slow cooker.
Hungarian goulash from Lazerson: the basics
How to cook the dish according to the prescription of a famous presenter? The obligatory and unshakable principles of Ilya Lazerson in the preparation of goulash in Hungarian are the following:
- Be sure to use paprika for cooking beef.
- Roasting meat should be done exclusively onion. First fry the onions, then add meat to it. So the juice will be preserved in the goulash.
- The use of tomatoes is excluded.
- The obligatory component of the goulash is chips.
Note to the hostess
In the process of cooking goulash along Lazerson, fry meat should be in hot oil so that all the juice is sealed inside the piece. Too liquid a dish can be thickened by applying sautéed flour or even starch. If you add a little fresh fruit or dried fruit to the dish, its taste will become very original and distinctive.
Lazerson’s goulash with paprika (Hungarian)
We invite you to familiarize yourself with the master’s recipe for a real Hungarian dish, presented to him in one of the episodes of the celibacy lunch TV show. In accordance with the principles of Lazerson, beef goulash is prepared from the following ingredients:
- 100-150 grams of smoked Hungarian fat (smoked fat, sprinkled with sweet ground pepper);
- three medium-sized potatoes;
- halves of the onion;
- 400 grams of beef for stewing (use the muscle of the back leg of the carcass);
- three tablespoons of ground paprika (red capsicum );
- one bell pepper (if desired);
- 100 grams of flour;
- half the egg.
Hungarians consider goulash to be un irversal refreshment, it is eaten on the first and second. As a second course, Lazerson’s beef goulash is cooked in Hungarian in the following way:
- The fat is cut into small pieces (random size is chosen). A small amount of oil (vegetable) is poured into the bottom of the pan and the lard is sent (it should melt).
- Cut the potatoes in half and set to boil, salt before the end of cooking.
- Chop the onion ( it is used in small quantities, because it contains a lot of sugar, and excess sweetness will spoil the taste of the dish).
- The cracklings are taken out of the pan, and the onions are sent to be fried over medium heat in the fat, which is heated from the cracklings.
- For cooking goulash from Lazerson use beef, designed for t of the ear, the muscle of the hind leg of the carcass.
- The principal moment in creating the dish is the following: when frying meat and onions, it is necessary to start with onions. The meat is sent to the pan to the already prepared onion. This should be done not in a frying pan (it will not need to be washed later), but in a pan with a rather thick bottom.
- The red color of the dish is not provided by the presence of tomato (no tomato paste is put in beef goulash from Lazerson, not tomatoes), but in the bright color of paprika, two tablespoons of which are added to the meat, as soon as it is caught in fat. Then the composition is mixed and slightly heated, stirring constantly, for about three minutes.
- Add a small amount of water (meat should be completely covered) and simmer over low heat. Flour is used as a thickener.
- Peppers are cut into squares and sent to the meat.
Bograch (chowder with potato chips)
There are options among Laserson's recipes cooking goulash for both the first and second. Bograch - authentic Hungarian soup. It is usually cooked by men. And they do it at the stake. The word "bograch" in translation from Hungarian means "bowler" or "boiler". Fatty broth is cooked from several types of meat. Use pork, beef, sausage and bacon, as well as brisket, loin or ribs. In addition to all this wealth, various vegetables, spices and spices are also used, thanks to which a truly unforgettable "fiery" stew is obtained. One of the national features of the bograch is the presence in its recipe of special small dumplings - chipsets (from the Hungarian “chipkedna” - “pinch”), which are plucked manually from the hard dough (egg) and added to the broth.
As part of the products
To cook goulash with this recipe Laserson takes about two and a half hours. Use:
- smoked bacon - 250 grams;
- four onions (large);
- two medium carrots;
- one and a half kilogram of potatoes;
- sweet paprika - two tablespoons;
- one and a half kilograms of calf and pork ribs.
- flour (in any quantity) and one egg for dumplings (chips).
How to cook bograch at the stake?
Act like this:
- Finely chop the lard, put it in a pot and put on fire. Melt, fry until golden.
- Meanwhile, peel and chop the onion (preferably thin half rings), add it to the pot and fry in the fat melted from the fat.
- After the onion has turned golden color, gradually add paprika to the frying, which will give the stew not only a peculiar appetizing taste, but also a specific bright color. It is necessary to constantly stir frying. Paprika in hot fat should soak, but not burn. Next, add carrots, which are pre-cut into circles.
- Fill the meat prepared in advance. The more ribs in the goulash, the tastier it will turn out. The pulp is cut into small pieces (3 × 3 cm).
- Thoroughly mix the products and add water to the pot - it should cover the contents. Add spices.
- You can pre-purchase at the store a set of special seasonings for goulash: it contains salt in the required quantity. For the presented amount of meat you need 1 tbsp. l (top) seasonings.
- Put meat and seasonings in a fried pot, add water, cover and stew with periodic stirring until tender.
- After the meat is ready, pour potatoes (chopped), add water to the required volume and add seasoning to taste. Cook until the potatoes are ready.
In nature, there are not always opportunities for working with the test, but you can add them if you wish . For the preparation of chips, flour is used in an arbitrary amount, one egg. Mix a little thick dough from flour and eggs (water is not used). Roll out and tear it into small pieces (about 2 cm). Ready chips are sprinkled with flour and left to dry. Pour dumplings with potatoes and cook until tender (about forty minutes). A minute before the end of cooking, fresh greens (finely chopped) are added to the pot.
Spicy goulash from turkey thigh
In one of the editions of the culinary program, another of Laserson's wonderful recipes was presented. A ready-made dish with pilaf is served. Ingredients for Lazerson Spicy Turkey Goulash:
- 100 grams of basmati rice;
- vegetable oil;
- one onion;
- cashew nuts;
- four cloves of garlic;
- 300 grams of tomatoes in their own juice;
- 600 grams of turkey thigh fillet;
- 70 ml;
- coconut milk.
The cooking process will take about forty minutes. They do this:
- First, they make the sauce. Peel ginger and garlic, chop. Fry them in oil (vegetable), add cloves, cumin, cloves and cinnamon, chopped tomatoes in their own juice (unlike beef goulash Lazerson, there are tomatoes in this recipe), turmeric, sugar, salt and warm.
- Then they cook the goulash. The thigh of a turkey (fillet) is cut into cubes of medium size, fried in sunflower oil. Together with the prepared sauce, transfer to a stewpan, add water and salt. Leave to stew under a closed lid for twenty minutes. Coconut milk is added and stewed for a few more minutes.
- Next, prepare the pilaf. Rice is washed, boiled in slightly salted water. Ginger and onions are cut into small pieces, fried in sunflower oil. Raisins (washed), cinnamon, cloves, turmeric and zira are added. Combine with rice (boiled), add sugar and salt. Pilaw is sprinkled with cilantro and cashew and served in a deep plate.
To prepare this dish in accordance with the principles of Laserson, you will need:
- 500 grams of beef pulp.
- Two large potatoes.
- Two onions.
- One carrot.
- One sweet pepper (red).
- One petiole celery.
- 200 grams of dumplings dough (for making homemade noodles).
- Two tablespoons of sweet paprika.
- One teaspoon of a mixture of five peppers.
- Half a glass of tomatoes in their own juice (another departure from the proclaimed principle of “no tomatoes in goulash”).
- Half a teaspoon of coriander.
- Two tablespoons of vegetable oil.
- One tea spoonful of sugar.
- Three tablespoons of cilantro.
- One fifth of a teaspoon of saffron.
From the amount of ingredients presented gives approximately six servings of the dish. It takes about two hours to cook.
How to cook?
It works like this:
- Beef pulp is cut into cubes about 3x3 cm in size. Fried in vegetable oil until golden brown.
- Peel the carrots and onions, wash the pepper. Shred vegetables (carrots with half rings, onions with feathers).
- Fry onions in a cauldron (it should become transparent), add sugar, chopped carrots and fry for 4-6 minutes.
- Add meat (fried) to prepared vegetables. Fry over moderate heat.
- Add coriander (ground), paprika and mix. Fry for three minutes with constant stirring (it is necessary to ensure that the paprika is not overcooked).
- Pour the tomatoes in their own juice (if desired, can be replaced with tomato sauce or tomatoes), one liter of boiling water, salt, mix and stew for twenty minutes.
- Peel the potatoes and cut into slices equal in size to pieces of meat. Spread in a cauldron and stew on a gentle fire.
- Cut celery and pepper. Spread in a cauldron, stew for about twenty minutes.
- Add a little more boiling water (it should cover the vegetables).
- Meanwhile, make noodles from dumpling dough (the dough is rolled out and cut into thin strips). The dough pieces are put in boiling water and boiled for five minutes.
- Add a little saffron and a mixture of peppers (ground), salt. Then add cilantro greens (chopped). They let it boil and remove it from the fire.
The finished dish should stand for about five to ten minutes before serving. Bon appetit