Cod liver experts are among the products containing a huge amount of substances useful to the human body. Especially valuable is the abundance of fish oil rich in polyunsaturated fatty acids. Despite the fact that the calorie content of the cod liver is quite high, nutritionists strongly recommend including it in the diet of patients during the recovery period after prolonged treatment and people experiencing great physical and mental stress.
Most often this product is used to prepare all kinds of snack salads, but the most advantageous is its use as one of the components of sandwiches. Interesting sandwiches with canned cod liver will decorate any holiday feast. Its delicate pulp goes well with other products, which allows you to cook a wide variety of snack options. In this article, we will talk about how to make sandwiches with cod liver and cucumber.
Useful tips on choosing a product
Experts do not recommend rushing with buying the first jar of canned cod liver oil that caught my eye in the store. First, shake it slightly to see if its contents are loose inside. If this is so, then the manufacturer cheated: the weight of the jar is provided mainly not by the presence of pieces of liver in it, but by excess fat, which is not needed for making sandwiches. With a total mass of canned food, comprising 230–240 grams, the weight of the liver itself should fluctuate between 60-120 grams. If this figure is below 40-50% of the mass of canned food, experts recommend that you refrain from such a purchase. You need to buy only natural liver. Products such as Murmansk Cod Liver and Cod Liver and Caviar are not suitable for making sandwiches, since the contents of the jar in these cans are mainly butter.
If you see a jar of liver and red fish caviar, you should take it, regardless relatively high cost. Such canned goods will make remarkably tasty sandwiches, which, despite the simplicity of preparation, will look great on the festive table.
Recommendations for making delicious sandwiches with cod liver
Cod liver is an unusually tasty product . Among its shortcomings, experts call too high a calorie level (613 kcal in 100 grams of the product). But if pieces of the liver are put in a sieve and the oil drains, the fat content of the dish will decrease significantly. The high level of nutritional value of canned food can be reduced by using round slices of cucumber instead of the bread base of the sandwich.
Pasta for filling sandwiches with cod liver (the recipe with a photo can be chosen to your liking in This article) is prepared in advance and aged for some time in the refrigerator. To make out, on the contrary, it should be right before the serving, otherwise the appetizer can be “windy”, which will make it lose its appetizing appearance.
Canned cod liver oil goes well with cucumber, both salted and fresh, eggs, tomatoes, butter (cream), cheese, onions and a wide variety of herbs. Fans of original combinations can create sandwiches with cod liver, cucumber and kiwi (or avocado). It is better to chop the cucumber into cubes (if it is grated, a large amount of juice will be released, and the liver filling will turn out to be excessively liquid).
Onion lovers can safely add this useful vegetable (chopped) to the filling for sandwiches with cod liver and cucumber. Onions (both fresh and pickled) go well with a wide variety of ingredients. Green and onions mutually complement or replace each other. Replace onions with chopped parsley or dill. It should be noted that excess dill can kill the taste of the main product.
Piquancy sandwiches with cod liver and cucumber will give the addition of chopped cloves of garlic. But more than 1 clove should not be used, since it can also overshadow other products with its sharp aroma and taste.
Mayonnaise in sandwiches with cod liver and cucumber can be replaced with olive oil or unsweetened yogurt - this makes the taste of the snack more original lightweight. You can add 100 grams of cheese (hard) to the filling, which is crushed on a grater (medium) and mixed with the rest of the ingredients. This filling is more nutritious tenderness. Interesting cod liver sandwiches are obtained with cottage cheese, chopped apple, baked bell pepper (they are peeled and cut into thin strips, then placed on top of the filling), sliced avocado slices.
The appetizer is prepared from both white and rye bread, which is recommended to lightly dry in a toaster or oven (so it will not absorb much oil). Some chefs use slightly stale bread, which previously simply left to lie for a while in the air. It is recommended to hold closed sandwiches before serving under the press, making them compact and more convenient for consumers. It is not recommended to create sandwiches long before serving, but it is better to prepare the spreading mass on bread in advance, put it in a glass jar, cover it and put it in the refrigerator.
How to decorate sandwiches with cod liver and cucumber?
Toasts can be decorated with cut circles of radish, olives and olives, capers, thin slices of lemon, sliced tomato. Before laying out the sandwiches on the dish, you can put on them lettuce, which will give the appetizer a more festive and elegant look. To decorate sandwiches for the New Year or holiday table, use red caviar, shrimp or red fish (thinly sliced).
Cooking snacks with cucumber
Based on the general principles of creating a popular snacks, you can make sandwiches with cod liver and fresh cucumber. Options are presented in a wide assortment. Sandwiches with cod liver and pickles are enjoyed by gourmets no less. Some recipes combine both vegetables - they provide for the use of fresh and pickled cucumbers. We offer you to get acquainted with the most interesting ways to create snacks.
How to make a sandwich for a festive feast?
Getting ready for the holiday , the housewives try to create treats that, in addition to gastronomic pleasure, would bring guests an aesthetic contentment. Sandwiches with cucumber (fresh) and cod liver presented in this section will have to tinker a bit, but the result will certainly please. Use:
- uncut square-shaped bread (white or rye);
- one can of canned cod liver;
- 50 grams of hard cheese;
- 1 cucumber;
- four eggs;
- some breadcrumbs;
- 100 grams of butter;
Description of the method of preparation
It works like this:
- Boil the eggs, yolks are rubbed on a fine grater, the proteins are chopped into cubes. The liver is freed from excess oil and knead. No need to pour oil.
2. Bread brick is cut into two equal parts. One of them is immediately divided into identical pieces, the crumb is selected from the other.
3. The third part of the crumb is placed in a jar where the butter is. After a while, they take it out, add the mashed liver, crushed proteins and yolks to it, slightly pepper, add salt if necessary and mix.
4. Half without the crumb start with the cooked pasta, set on a plate and sent to the refrigerator, where it should harden for half an hour - forty minutes. Then they take it out, cut it (it is better to use a warm knife for this).
5. Pieces of bread, sliced from the first half, butter. They are laid out in pieces with filling. Sandwiches laid out on a plate should be filled with the top.
6. Sandwiches are coated with mayonnaise and the sandwich is decorated with fresh cucumber slices and crumbled yolks. The edges of the circles can be cut, turning them into cute improvised leaves.
These sandwiches are the perfect holiday appetizer. The option presented in this section is considered one of the simplest and most delicious. Since the recipe provides for the use of pickles, an appetizer can be prepared for Christmas, New Year, or any other winter holiday. Use:
- 170 grams of cod liver (canned);
- one egg;
- 50 grams of cheese (hard);
- one or two pickles;
- 10-14 slices of white bread;
- greens (any) for decoration.
How to prepare a treat ?
It takes about 15 minutes to cook. The energy value of 100 grams of the product is 341 kcal. Act as follows:
- Open a tin can and spread the liver in a bowl. Do not drain the oil, otherwise the filling will be dry. Add the boiled egg and cheese, crushed with a grater. Knead and mix everything with a fork to get a homogeneous mass.
- White bread is cut into thin slices and dried in the oven or in a pan (dry). Each of the pieces is smeared with the prepared mixture, spread a circle of cucumber (salted) on top and decorated with a sprig of any greens.
The recipe for making puff sandwiches with fresh and pickled cucumbers and cod liver
- 700 grams of rye bread (round loaf).
- 0.23 kg of cod liver (canned).
- Five chicken eggs.
- 150 grams of fresh cucumbers.
- 150 grams of pickled cucumbers.
- 50 grams of olives stuffed with lemon, olives or anchovies.
- 100 grams hard cheese.
- One lemon.
- 50 grams of breadcrumbs.
About the method of preparation
Act as follows:
- A crust is cut from the bread. The crumb is cut in the shape of a 6-gon or an 8-gon. Cut it into 3 layers.
- Peel the cucumbers (fresh), chop, put them in a separate plate.
- Pickled cucumbers chop in the form of small cubes, put in another plate.
- Hard boiled eggs, peeled, finely chopped with a knife. Divided into 2 parts. One is added to the pickled, and the other to fresh cucumbers.
- The cod liver is divided into 2 parts (equal). They are crushed with a fork and mixed separately with the contents of both plates.
- Cheese is triturated (finely), mixed with a small amount of breadcrumbs.
- The olives are cut into rings.
- One of the layers of bread is spread with a paste of pickled cucumbers and canned cod liver. From above it is covered with a second layer. Spread it with a composition of fresh cucumbers and cod liver and cover with the rest of the bread.
- Press the sandwiches in a bowl and put in the refrigerator for half an hour. After this time, the bread is cut into 6-8 parts, like a cake.
- Sprinkle the edges of the sandwiches with a mixture of cheese and crackers. The top layer is sprayed with oil from a can. Lemon is cut into thin semicircles and laid out on the surface of sandwiches. Decorate products with olives.
Puff cod liver sandwiches, created according to this recipe, look very much like a cake, they can decorate the table on a holiday. It can be offered for breakfast, lunch or dinner. The dish will certainly appeal to both adults and children.