Sealant is a substance made on the basis of oligomers and polymers. It is used for the final processing of the seam at parquet floors, as well as for the restoration of wooden flooring. When laying parquet there is always a gap between the boards. In order that moisture does not get into it, and the tree itself does not swell, grout is used. This prevents deformation of the flooring and water ingress.
What is this material for? The sealant solves the following problems:
- Prevents the appearance of microorganisms in the floor.
- Seals the smallest cracks where moisture can accumulate.
- Eliminates parquet deformation.
- Extends the life of the floor.
To increase the technical characteristics and the life of the floor, use sealant for wood and parquet. It is necessary when sealing joints between parquet and lamellas. For this, various types of sealant are used: special and ordinary. Consider their features:
- Colored sealant. The composition includes special pigments, which allows you to choose a grout to absolutely any type of wood.
- Antibacterial sealant. This is the best choice for tiles in the kitchen and bathroom. It is used wherever mold may appear.
The sealant for parquet is distinguished by the number components:
- One-component. Applied when working with materials that are not exposed to strong temperature effects. It hardens instantly.
- Two-component. The composition includes two different components, one is a binder, and the second is to improve physical and mechanical properties (adhesion, elasticity, frost resistance).
One-component sealants are most often used when working with tiles, and for wooden The flooring uses acrylic sealant for parquet. Such a grout has:
- gh adhesion to wooden coatings.
- The ability to withstand stretching and compression.
- Good waterproof and heat-insulating qualities.
Next, we consider the features of the sealant by type.
Used to process joints. In the series there are both waterproof and hydrophobic, which have good adhesion, but low strength. It is used for sealing joints on the floor if deformation does not exceed 15 percent.
It has high water repellent properties. It is divided into acidic (sealant for parquet and laminate) and neutral (for tile). Silicone sealants are more elastic (when compared with acrylic).
The mixture is quite strong and wear-resistant. Suitable for external use. Not afraid of temperature changes, moisture and deformation.
One of the types of two-component sealant. Not afraid of moisture and chemicals. However, it is the most expensive sealant.
Next, we consider the most reliable manufacturers of flooring sealants.
The company's products include sealants that can ideally be matched to any tree. The company is distinguished by the quality of the mixtures. They are made on the basis of acrylic. Well suited for seams. Advantages are:
- instant hardening of the composition;
- excellent adhesion;
- resistant to chemicals;
- a large number of colors.
A mixture based on acrylic. Great for seams and gaps. It is also possible to varnish, sand and paint the parquet. The advantages of the product are:
- lack of smell;
- moisture resistance;
- high adhesion;
- high resistance to temperature changes.
This company produces mixtures adapted to high loads during deformation. It is used to eliminate cracks, potholes and seams on the floor. Large selection of colors. Well suited for parquet combined with underfloor heating. Advantages are the following material properties:
- does not crack;
- is moisture resistant;
- high adhesion;
- instant hardening;
- applicable in a damp room.
The company manufactures acrylic based parquet sealants. Used for grouting when varnished flooring. Also, products from the manufacturer are well suited for restoration of parquet. Among the advantages of this sealant for parquet in the reviews note:
- high compound with wooden parquet;
- the mixture is odorless and solvent-free;
- high resistance to ultraviolet rays;
- a large selection of colors.
Advantages and disadvantages
All the pros and cons of the material can be appreciated only with the correct installation of parquet. What is noted in the reviews of the positive qualities:
- Acrylic based sealants are quite affordable.
- Acrylic sealant is quite diverse in color. After application, it can be easily corrected (remove excess or cut off after solidification) and not be afraid of additional processing.
- The sealant does not contain toxins, since all substances dissolve in water. Also, it is completely fireproof.
- Thanks to adhesion, it instantly hardens, regardless of the type of surface.
- Despite the good bonding agents, the sealant passes steam, and this allows condensate to not settle on the surface.
- gh-quality sealant does not yellowness and does not fade under ultraviolet.
All products have their disadvantages. So, for example, the sealant does not really like water, because of its composition, it begins to dissolve. This does not mean that the material will dissolve the first time you wash the floors. The substance needs time to get used to the dry environment.
How to use the sealant?
Before starting work, make sure that there are no dust and dirt in the cracks. When working with sealant, it is necessary to maintain one temperature regime until it solidifies. Using a spatula, evenly distribute the sealant at the seams and remove excess. The sealant will begin to dry after 10-15 minutes, but on average 24 hours will be required for complete hardening. Information on the exact hardening time can always be found on the label.
So, we examined what this sealant is. Using this material you can not only give the parquet an attractive look, but also protect it from premature aging. Such a flooring will last a very long time, because various gaps will be eliminated, and moisture simply has nowhere to go.