Sometimes teething in babies can cause a lot of trouble not only for the children themselves, but also for their parents. This period is different for everyone. Some children can easily tolerate the discomfort caused by teething, while others can notice the appearance of temperature, diarrhea and a number of other symptoms. Due to the speech barrier, additional difficulties may arise, since you can only guess what really worries the baby. Parents of babies need only to be patient and also to know the symptoms and teething procedures in children under one year old.
When do the first teeth appear?
The rudiments of baby teeth form long before the baby is born, and teething occurs closer to the six-month-old age of the baby. As a rule, the first examination by a dentist should take place no later than 9-10 months. When examining the oral cavity, the doctor first of all draws attention to the teething procedure in children up to a year. For the correct bite, it is very important to monitor the order of appearance of primary teeth.
In total, babies should have twenty primary teeth. Usually a complete set is formed closer to two to three years. We’ll find out the teething sequence in children under one year old right now.
- The central incisors are four front teeth, which are two pieces below and above. As a rule, the lower ones begin to erupt earlier, at the age of five to six months, followed by the upper ones, with a possible lag of a month.
- The lateral incisors are located on the sides and border on the central ones. To the favorable period for their appearance, experts attribute the last months of the first year of life of the crumbs: for the lower jaw - 11-12, and for the upper - 8-11.
- The molars complete the order of teething in children up to a year. According to experts, their appearance falls on the age of 12-16 months. But as practice shows, in some babies, the teething of these teeth begins up to a year. In this regard, the molars are included in the list of teething in children up to a year. They are called indigenous by the people, and they are located behind fangs, which are still missing.
Teething schedule in children up to a year
A certain schedule of the appearance of teeth created by dentists, allows you to evaluate the development of teeth crumbs. We suggest that you familiarize yourself with the teething table in children under one year old.Name Dates Features Central lower incisors from 5 to 8 months
Usually this kind of teeth appears in pairs. Thanks to them, the child will be able to process medium-hard food.Central upper incisors from 5 to 8 months Can penetrate simultaneously with the lower central incisors. Lateral lower incisors from 7 to 12 months Same as the central incisors cut through in pairs. Lateral upper incisors from 7 to 12 months As a rule, the lower incisors are first cut through lateral incisors, then upper ones. Molars 12 to 16 months
Around the age of 1.4 baby should four first molars appear on both jaws. The second batch falls on approximately 16 to 20 months.
Teething out of time
There are times when baby teeth in crumbs does not correspond to the order of teething in children up to a year. Referring to the individual characteristics of the child, dentists consider a deviation from the schedule in a couple of months the norm. Thus, if the baby has not yet appeared teeth, or, on the contrary, erupts a couple of months earlier, parents should not sound the alarm.
Deviations from the norm include the following:
- The presence of teeth at birth.
- Their complete absence per year.
Only in the above cases requires the help of specialists: pediatrician, dentist and endocrinologist. It’s extremely important to show the crumbs to doctors, since a deviation from the norm can also indicate the possible development of endocrine diseases or rickets.
Not only heredity affects the growth and teething in children under one year old, but other factors:
- Improper nutrition of the baby and the nursing mother.
- Mom's smoking and drinking alcohol.
- The course of labor.
- SARS and other diseases that the infant suffered in the first months of life.
- The presence of chronic diseases in the mother or father.
- Disease of the mother during pregnancy.
- Delivery in the late stages or prematurity.
- Method of feeding (breast or artificial). It was noted that in teething babies the process of teething is slower than in artificial babies.
How do you know if a baby’s teeth are being cut?
Since there is a speech barrier between parents and their baby, sometimes it’s not so easy to identify the cause of his worries. Consider the main symptoms of teething in children per year.
- Since the process of moving teeth through the gums gives the baby discomfort and pain, his behavior can dramatically change in the negative direction. The child may become irritable or capricious.
- Due to severe itching, children tend to drag any objects into their mouths for up to a year, so they do their best to alleviate an unpleasant symptom.
- Decreased appetite or even rejection from food. Breastfed babies may begin to bite at this time.
- Profuse salivation.
Can there be temperature when teething?
The baby’s body before years has not yet been fully formed, due to the immaturity of organs and the immune system, his temperature may rise. Experts allow an increase in temperature during teething in children up to a year, but not higher than 38 degrees. As a rule, an increase in temperature occurs due to inflammation of the gums, and excessive salivation is a bactericidal agent, which significantly reduces the risk of infection. Teething in some children can be very difficult. When the first incisors appear, the temperature sometimes reaches high levels, up to 39-40 degrees. According to doctors, such well-being can lie in wait for children in the process of the appearance of molars, which begin to erupt by 1.5 years.
Febrile temperature can cause weakness, malaise, lack of appetite, sleep disturbance and even vomiting, which only exacerbates the condition of the crumbs. If a temperature of 38 degrees occurs, it must be brought down with antipyretic drugs in the form of rectal suppositories or syrup.
So, high fever is just a protective reaction of the body, and in the absence of complications and serious health problems, it should decrease within three days.
The high temperature can stay in children in in such cases:
- Active appearance of several teeth.
- Gum disease, hemorrhage in the mucosa.
- If the body has other inflammatory or infectious diseases associated with with the nervous system, liver, blood, lungs, kidneys, heart.
Diarrhea with the appearance of teeth
To the symptom teething baby up to 1 year may include diarrhea. Not every doctor can give a scientific explanation of the relationship between the appearance of teeth and diarrhea, but nevertheless, many parents note that when the gums swell, the baby has loose stools. What can cause this symptom? The main reason for the occurrence of diarrhea during teething is getting excessive saliva into the baby's body. The normal duration of diarrhea associated with teething in children under 1 year old should not be more than five days.
The following are alarming symptoms:
- Watery consistency.
- The presence in the feces of blood clots and foreign inclusions.
- Color change to black and greenish shades.
In such cases, you need to contact a pediatrician.
Many will give birth Whether the appearance of the common cold in the kid blamed on another virus, but this is not always the case. In fact, the presence of snot can be associated with teething. Experts explain this by the fact that the mucous membrane of the child’s gums and nose has a common blood circulation mechanism. When teething in the gum, an inflammatory process appears and blood circulation increases. Simultaneously with this process, there is an activation of blood circulation in the nasal mucosa, which may cause a runny nose. However, after teething, “dental” rhinitis should immediately stop without any consequences.
How to discern a runny nose associated with teething? According to experts, the snot caused by the appearance of the first teeth is a small discharge of a transparent color, the duration of which is from three to five days. It is necessary to consult your doctor in the following cases:
- If the discharge has a greenish or yellowish tint. This may indicate the presence of infection.
- The duration of the common cold exceeds 5 days.
- The mucus from the nose has an unpleasant odor and a thick consistency.
- With a large amount of discharge from the nose crumbs.
How to help the baby?
To every mom I want to ease the suffering of my baby. To date, there are quite a few options with which you can reduce the itching and pain that deliver to the baby when teething. Consider the most popular.
1. Medicines The pharmacy has a huge assortment of various gels that are designed to relieve inflammation. As a rule, they are rubbed into the gums of the baby. Such remedies are safe and have almost no contraindications. When choosing, it should be noted that not every drug is suitable for breastfeeding children. This is due to the fact that when a product enters the tongue, it complicates the sucking process. This also applies to those gels that include lidocaine. In addition, before buying a medicine, you should consult your doctor who can choose a remedy based on the individual characteristics of the child.
2. Teething toys. The main purpose of such devices is gum massage, due to which unpleasant sensations are reduced and the process of tooth biting is accelerated. In addition, such toys develop fine motor skills, form the correct bite, prepare the baby for the chewing process, and simply distract from unpleasant sensations. In the manufacture of such devices, manufacturers focuses on the sequence of teething in children up to a year and above. Today the market offers not only universal teethers, but also special ones designed for a certain stage of teething in babies, which are different in shape and texture. The range of such products is quite large, on the shelves in children's stores you can find teethers in the form of toys, rattles, a nipple, fingertips with a brush. Everything else, they are cooling with gel and water, as well as with vibration. But most importantly, when choosing such a thing, you should pay attention to the following:
- So that the baby can comfortably hold it in his pen and mouth.
- The teether should be made of quality materials that are safe for babies.
- The toy must be appropriate for the age of the child. As a rule, simple silicone teasers are suitable for babies 3-4 months old, and rattles - teethers are recommended to be offered to children over six months old who are already confidently manipulating objects.
Hard food is a good alternative to special teethers. For example, children who receive complementary foods can be offered carrots, apples, or dryers.
When should I see a doctor?
Teething is an inevitable process that must be endured by both babies and their parents. Earlier, we found out that tolerance and teething in children under one year of age are associated with individual characteristics. However, experts recommend resorting to medical care in the following cases:
1. When vomiting occurs. With teething, the baby's body becomes defenseless against various viruses and infections. With severe itching of the gums, the child tries to scratch them with his fist or various objects, all of which can cause vomiting.
2. In case of violation of the sequence of teething in children up to a year.
3. In case of incorrect tooth formation, which can be expressed in its shape, color or size.
4. gh fever for more than five days is an occasion to visit a doctor, as this symptom may not be associated with teething.
5. If a one-year-old baby doesn’t even have one tooth, you need to show it to a pediatrician, dentist and endocrinologist.
As a rule, a delay in tooth development can be associated with:
- Phosphorus calcium metabolism.
- Due to the prematurity of the child.
- With various digestive disorders that can weaken the immune system.
- With the existing signs of rickets.
- Due to frequent SARS.
6. If the position of the tooth axis is incorrect, it is oblique or horizontal, which is why it can remain in the thickness of the jaw bone or erupt outside the jaw arch.