Underfloor heating is a comfortable system that provides warmth to the floor in any living room. They can be presented in different forms, but in any case are located under the finish floor covering. They heat the floor, so it is important to correctly choose a coating that will cope well with high temperatures. Floor coverings can be represented by a laminate, parquet or tile. In addition, you can choose other coatings, but they must withstand high loads.
The concept of a warm floor
A warm floor is represented by a special floor heating system. It is laid directly on the concrete screed, after which it is again poured with concrete. Only after this, the finish coating is laid.
The floor covering on the warm floor can be presented in different forms, but the most commonly chosen laminate or tile.
Types of warm floor
Warm floor is presented in several forms:
- Water system. It involves the use of small pipes that are laid on the entire surface of the floor. They can be connected to heating or hot water supply. It can be formed exclusively in a private house, as other types of system are selected for the apartment.
- Electric. It consists in laying an electric cable in the room. This option is considered easy to create, but expensive to operate, since you have to spend a lot of money to pay for electricity.
- Infrared. It is considered the most economical, convenient and in demand. It is not necessary to spend a lot of time and effort for laying an infrared film, and there is also no need to form a cement screed on top, which is considered important for rooms with a low ceiling.
No matter what kind of warm system the floor is chosen by the owner of the room, he must figure out what kind of floor heating can be installed. It should easily cope with high temperatures, otherwise the material will quickly deteriorate.
Thermal conductivity of the coating
The coating for the warm floor in the house should have an optimal thermal conductivity . This is due to the fact that only in this case the heating system will be effective. The material from which the coating is made must conduct heat well.
The tile is considered to be the most heat-conducting, so it is most often laid on top of a warm floor. In addition, porcelain stoneware is often selected.
Many manufacturing companies produce laminate flooring, which has the desired rate of thermal conductivity and resistance to high temperatures. Therefore, it turns out to be a good floor covering for a warm floor.
What materials are not suitable?
Initially, you should decide on materials that are not considered a suitable option for continuous heating. Do not create a floor covering from the following materials:
- PVC or vinyl tile. These materials have a high linear expansion coefficient. Therefore, during an increase in temperature, they begin to swell. Once the floor has cooled down, ugly crevices may remain between the individual tiles.
- Cheap laminate. It is made from low quality materials, and inexpensive glue is also used during its creation. Therefore, such material will not cope with constant heating. It will quickly crack and large gaps will form between the slats. Repair in this case will not work, so you have to create a completely new coating.
- Linoleum. Relatively recently, it was completely banned for use on the underfloor heating system. This is due to the fact that many types of linoleum are created using chemical components, which during heating release harmful substances into the air. Therefore, the use of such material is strictly prohibited over the structure for floor heating.
- Parquet or parquet board. These materials have poor thermal conductivity, and wood does not tolerate a constant change in temperature. Therefore, there is a likelihood that it will simply warp and resize.
- Carpet. It is considered the worst flooring for underfloor heating. This is due to the fact that the material is a good heat insulator, so people simply will not be able to feel the positive effect of having a warm floor system.
Some types of materials are completely unsuitable if floor heating is planned. People should be wise in choosing a floor covering to create truly comfortable and pleasant living conditions.
It is considered the best floor covering. That is why it is often found in baths or saunas. The advantages of using tiles include:
- has excellent heat dissipation;
- you can choose different types of tiles, such as porcelain, ceramic or tile;
- the material is good it gives off heat, so walking on such a floor in the presence of a warm floor is actually pleasant and comfortable;
- there are no increased loads, so the elements of the heating system will not overheat;
- direct the coating is durable, therefore has a long service life;
- easily copes with changed temperature;
- withstands moisture, so it can be cleaned even with wet cleaning.
But even a tiled floor for a warm floor has some drawbacks. These include the fact that if the underfloor heating is turned off, then it will not be too comfortable to move on a cold and hard tile floor. The cost of the direct material and its high-quality installation is considered quite complex. To cope independently with the installation without the experience and specialized skills is almost impossible. Additionally, this material is not very suitable for creating coverage in the bedroom or children's room.
Tell me exactly what coating better for a warm floor, it is almost impossible, since each option has both pluses and minuses. The most popular flooring material is considered to be a laminate. It has an affordable price, attractive appearance and good thermal conductivity. But you only need to choose a material that is specially created for a warm floor. In this case, he will cope well with temperature changes. Only in this case it is possible to avoid scattering and cracking of the strips.
The positive aspects of applying the laminate include:
- a beautiful and durable coating is obtained;
- it will be comfortable for walking even when the underfloor heating system is turned off;
- the material has a high inertia, therefore, heat storage is provided, which allows you to enjoy a warm coating even after a long time after turning off the underfloor heating system;
- use only need a laminate, on the packaging of which there is Heating Underfloor inscription, since only such material can easily withstand high temperatures;
- the installation process is so simple that everyone can do this process even without work experience;
- if necessary, it can be easily repair by replacing damaged trims.
But the laminate has some negative parameters. It has less heat transfer compared to tiles. Additionally, in any case, it will be necessary to create a reinforced cement screed on top of the warm floor, on top of which a high-quality insulating substrate is laid.
Using a laminate is impractical in many rooms, which include a bathroom or kitchen. Even if you choose special brands of laminate designed for underfloor heating, there are still restrictions on the temperature of the coolant, so you can only heat the floor to 28 degrees.
This material is warm, but can be used for underfloor heating. Therefore, if a person thinks about which coating to choose for a warm floor, then you can stop on a cork floor. It has the following undoubted advantages:
- good heat retention, so if you turn off the underfloor heating system, the coating will begin to cool only after 10 minutes, and the heat will remain for several hours;
- to create a high-quality coating, it is important to choose panels whose thickness does not exceed 15 mm;
- on the packaging of the material should be marked that it can be used over heated floors;
- walk on this the coating is always pleasant and comfortable.
Like the laminate, cork has some cons. It is not allowed to heat material above 28 degrees. Additionally, the cork has low heat dissipation.
People planning repairs in their apartment should be aware of what kind of flooring a warm floor can fit. Linoleum is considered an inexpensive and common material, but it is not selected when there is floor heating. This is due to the fact that with constant heating, harmful components are released that cause significant harm to human health.
It is not allowed to use linoleum in the children's room, since the child spends a lot of time on the floor. Therefore, it is advisable to abandon the use of this material in the presence of a warm floor.
Parquet and parquet board
These materials are made from natural wood, so they are incredibly attractive, environmentally friendly and durable. But a unique feature of wood is that it deforms when exposed to moisture or high temperature. Therefore, it is quite difficult to make a warm floor under the parquet. If the material is regularly heated, this will lead to the formation of cracks and cracks. Additionally, the wood will begin to warp and swell.
If you still decide to lay this particular flooring, you should use a temperature controller, since the temperature of the coolant should not rise above 28 degrees. Even in this case, it is likely that the material will not last too long, so soon you will have to perform a second floor repair.
It is formed using a special filling mixture, which is distributed carefully prepared ground. To create such a coating, you need to clean the base well, and also create optimal conditions in the room, represented by low humidity and temperature. Drafts are not allowed.
The bulk floor may have different colors or patterns. It is well suited for underfloor heating, so any suitable system can be stacked from below. Such a floor is considered attractive, but not too pleasant for walking. It is not suitable for a children's room or bedroom.
Which one to choose?
Choose covering for warm floors is quite difficult. In the process, you need to focus on the following factors:
- financial capabilities of the owner of the premises;
- the number of people living in the apartment;
- maximum temperature for heating the coolant;
- personal preferences of tenants.
Most often, the choice falls on tiles or laminate. This solution is considered optimal, since these coatings are durable, easy to care for and inexpensive. If you plan to install a water heated floor, it is important to additionally use high-quality waterproofing materials.
The warm floor system makes it possible to significantly improve the comfort of living in any living room. It can be presented in different versions, but it is important to choose the flooring that will be laid on top. It should conduct heat well and withstand high temperatures.
You can choose different materials to create the coating, which takes into account the amount of money available, the preferences of future users and the features of the selected warm floor system.