The child swallowed a plastic part: what to do, first aid

31.08.2019 Baby
The child swallowed a plastic part: what to do, first aid

Did the child swallow the plastic part? What to do in this case, not everyone knows. This question worries many dads and mothers, because their little researchers in an attempt to know the world around them use all the senses. During the game, the kids are so addicted to it that they forget about caution.

As soon as mom or dad gets distracted for just a couple of minutes, a foreign body already appears in the baby’s mouth - a coin, magnet, battery, puzzle, glass, various small details.

An adult in such situations should behave in a concentrated manner, not be confused, to quickly provide first aid to the baby. If mom or dad acts quickly and correctly, surgery can be avoided in some situations.

what to do the child swallowed the plastic part

Reasons Ingestion

The results of statistical studies indicate that millions of children annually have foreign objects in their gastrointestinal tract. How do they get into the body of babies? Did a child swallow a small plastic piece? What to do? Why do such situations arise?

Kids are curious, they strive to taste everything that is at their fingertips. They do this sometimes and absolutely by accident during the game.

AttentionParents should remove needles, medicines, sharp objects from kids in inaccessible places, stick toys with batteries with tape, do not give children under the age of three toys that the child can make out into separate elements.

plastic parts

What is most often swallowed by children

All objects that may appear in the gastrointestinal tract of a small child are conventionally divided into two groups: dangerous and non-hazardous to health ovah. The first group includes:

  • metal products (coins, batteries, magnets, foil, screws, balls, carnations);
  • long or sharp objects (stationery clips, wooden toothpicks , fish bones, glass, nails);
  • poisonous and toxic substances.

Part of the foreign bodies is not a direct danger. Among such objects, one can distinguish fruit bones, plastic parts, a tooth that fell out.

Non-hazardous foreign objects are:

  • bones from plums, cherries, peaches, chewing gum;
  • rubber and polymer objects (beads, buttons, cellophane);
  • building materials (silica gel, mounting foam);
  • hair, teeth;
  • other products (cotton wool, threads, elastic bands for hair).
play and danger

Signs and symptoms

like pon What if a child swallows a plastic part? Symptoms and signs by which it can be understood that a small object appeared in a child’s stomach are well known. We highlight some of them:

  • excessive salivation;
  • severe cough;
  • shortness of breath;
  • sudden jumps in body temperature;
  • severe (cutting) abdominal pain;
  • presence in the stool of blood;
  • vomiting and nausea;
  • pain in the sternum.

What if a small child swallows a plastic part? The symptoms mentioned above are an alarm to parents. If the baby suddenly turns pale, suffocates, coughs violently, you need to urgently call a doctor to be provided with qualified medical care.

Sequence of actions of parents

The main symptom indicating that a small child swallowed a plastic part with sharp edges is difficulty breathing. How should parents behave in such situations? We offer an algorithm of simple actions, the observance of which will allow us to provide first aid to the baby.

So, the child swallowed a plastic part, what should I do? The maximum danger to the baby is any foreign parts that are trapped in the trachea or in the respiratory tract. What to do in such situations for adults:

  1. You need to carefully throw the child over his left knee. The baby’s head should be lowered down.
  2. It is necessary to pat his back between the shoulder blades.
  3. It is advisable to induce a vomiting effect by pressing on the root of the tongue.

Parents should understand how dangerous small details can be for their child, not allow direct contact with the baby.

Not all fathers and mothers know what to do. A child swallows a plastic part, suffocates, and adults often just panic. But you can not hesitate for a minute, since the baby can be in serious danger. If you wait for the moment when a foreign object leaves the body on its own, a serious threat to children's life is likely.

Parents, having seen that the baby’s behavior has changed, should try to find out the cause of coughing, wheezing, and complexion. If qualified help is not provided to the baby in a timely manner, sad consequences will be inevitable.

Ingesting a small part from a child’s designer can be harmless only if it has the correct shape and small size. Otherwise, the situation can be serious.

If a child swallows a sharp plastic piece, it, passing through the gastrointestinal tract, can injure internal organs, promote inflammation, and provoke bleeding. Only with immediate medical attention can you count on preserving the baby’s health.

How not to harm

If the parents did not keep track of the baby, what should I do? A child swallows a plastic part, suffocates, what to do correctly, so that the assistance provided does not cause him additional harm? Of course, for starters it’s important to keep calm so that the child does not feel the whole danger of the situation.

It is strictly forbidden:

  1. To give the baby laxatives, to put enemas, since with the artificial acceleration of the functioning of the digestive system negative consequences are possible. The item can injure internal organs, become stuck in the intestines.
  2. You can’t force a child to eat solid food.
  3. You cannot try to remove a foreign body with your own magnet or tweezers.

If a one-year-old child swallows a plastic part smaller than a centimeter that has a round shape, it is highly likely that the foreign body will independently exit through the gastrointestinal tract along with the stool. You need to be patient, not forgetting to observe the behavior of the child.

during the game

Qualified help

If the child swallowed the plastic part of the toy, which can be a real danger to him, he must be hospitalized. In the hospital, using an X-ray or an ultrasound scan, the specialist will identify the place where the part is “stuck”. If a small object enters the stomach, it can be eliminated after research.

If a foreign object enters the bronchi, the doctor will work under anesthesia, as his manipulations can cause pain in the baby. In order to prevent infection of the bronchi and lungs, the doctor may additionally prescribe a course of antibiotics.

The exact location in the body of a foreign object is established only during research.

how to save the baby

Consequences

If parents don’t consult a doctor in a timely manner, a foreign object trapped in the child’s body can lead to a number of negative consequences: intestinal obstruction, internal bleeding, death. If the baby swallows small plastic parts, there is no reason for special alarm. Polymeric substances are resistant to gastric juice, they retain their properties when the temperature changes.

Small plastic parts from the designer do not oxidize, do not emit toxic substances. A serious problem will only be in those situations where the part has a complex shape (sharp angles), since when it moves through the intestines, the mucous membrane will be irritated, spasm of the intestinal tube is possible. In some cases, there is a threat to the life of the child due to the development of acute intestinal obstruction, fatal outcome is possible without emergency medical care.

Clinical manifestations

Intestinal obstruction that occurs when a child swallows foreign parts It can cause perforation of organs. If the object is in the respiratory throat, a serious condition occurs, which is associated with clogging of the larynx. The child begins to suffocate, if the baby is untimely provided, the baby may die.

There is a certain set of symptoms that cannot be confused with other situations: bouts of severe coughing, blue or pale face, profuse saliva.

If a small object appears in the digestive system, pathological manifestations may not occur. The kid retains his usual activity, in his behavior there are no any alarming signals. A foreign object will leave the body naturally without causing serious problems for the baby.

To summarize

What should parents do if their baby swallows some foreign object during the game? Without losing a second, you need to call an ambulance. If the baby is in satisfactory condition, parents can deliver it to a medical institution to save valuable time.

Pediatricians do not recommend dads and mothers to get the item on their own, armed with improvised means, for example, tweezers, a clamp. Such manipulations can damage the baby’s organs, cause even greater harm to his health.

source

Comments

Tips from iHow

do not miss new and useful recommendations from experts

NEW
  • How to massage children at home?
  • It is believed that massage of newborns refers to procedures that help the baby grow healthy. The baby becomes easier to acquire the skills important ...

  • How to choose a runbike for a child of 2 years: review, rating, useful tips
  • The temperature and diarrhea in a child of 2 years: possible causes, first aid and treatment
  • Natural feeding of children: benefits, how to organize
  • From what age can a child be given sausages? Baby sausages
  • shares