Any room starts at the door. They perform an important practical function, dividing the inner space. The modern market is filled with all kinds of moving partitions, which are classified according to various criteria. To make the right choice easier, we suggest that you familiarize yourself with each type of door.
There are two main types of doors:
- Entrance. Their main purpose is to protect unauthorized persons and the cold from entering the room, and to keep warm. Entrance doors must be strong and reliable.
- Interior. They are installed in the room partitions and serve to protect against the penetration of noise and odors from adjacent rooms. The design, decoration and color of the interior door leaf should be in harmony with the design of the rooms that they share.
Modern manufacturers produce several types of entrance doors, the main ones are:
- Wooden. They are distinguished by aesthetics and environmental cleanliness. The disadvantage is exposure to environmental influences and low thermal protection. For wooden doors need constant care (painting, polishing).
- Metal. This type of door is the most common. They are reliable and durable, because they have a metal frame, often well insulated, fireproof. In addition, they do not require additional care. For their manufacture metal from 3 mm is used.
Other types of doors (plastic, glass, aluminum) as input are used, most often, not in private construction. Aluminum products, for example, can be installed in a garage or in outbuildings.
Depending on the purpose, the types of metal doors are distinguished:
- shockproof ;
- soundproof (sound-absorbing).
Any external door that has a high level of strength - shockproof. Fireproof and bulletproof products are the most reliable and durable. They are made of high strength alloys. Sealed doors in private construction are not used. Soundproofing types in houses are extremely rare.
Methods of opening
According to the method of opening the entrance doors are divided into two types:
- nged. Classic hinge design. Depending on the type of fittings used, the opening of the wings can occur in one or two directions. For this type of door, adequate space is required. If the room is cramped, it's not always convenient.
- Sliding. The canvas goes into the cavity inside the wall or moves parallel to it. Depending on the type, sliding doors can be sliding (in two parts) or sliding (in one leaf).
In private construction, technologies of this kind are quite rare. This is due not only to the complexity of production, but also to the installation of such structures. They are often used as interior rooms, but it is best to design them in advance, before construction work.
The number of leaves
Depending on the number of leaves, the doors are divided into the following types:
- Single-leaf. With one door leaf.
- One and a half. They have two wings, but only one of them opens. The second is auxiliary. It is opened only in extreme cases.
- Double-winged. There are two opening doors.
Shape and appearance
The entrance doors are of several types. Here are the main ones:
- of a standard rectangular shape;
- arched (the upper part is semicircular);
- with a blind transom (the upper element is decorative, not opening).
- with decorative elements or with glazing.
According to the method of opening, there are six types of internal doors:
- in in the form of a “book”;
- pendulum and rotary.
Let's consider them in more detail.
Varieties of swing structures
The swing doors are divided into several types:
- Solid. The canvas is even and smooth.
- Milled. They are used to create masonite products. The thickness of the blade is affected by the depth of the cutter, so the door has a solid appearance.
- Paneled. They are made of frame and binding. The design is divided into separate parts, which have a frame and filling.
- Metal-plastic. They are most often installed in office premises.
- Glass. Such doors are used to visually expand and delimit space.
The main advantages of swing systems:
- a wide range of models;
- the ability to fit perfectly in any interior;
- wide color gamut;
- a large selection of material;
This type of interior door sost They are made up of the following parts:
- of the canvas;
- of the box mounted in the opening;
- of guides responsible for the movement of the canvas;
The canvas can be one-piece or several parts.
The most popular types of doors:
- sliding doors;
- several wings.
Advantages of sliding designs:
- space saving;
- ease of use, no effort;
- no thresholds;
- the ability to automate the design.
Accordion-type doors and folding models do not require a lot of free space, therefore they save space. In addition, they have a modern design and ease of installation.
Separation of doors according to the material of manufacture
Choosing a door, everyone seeks to acquire an attractive and practical product. Therefore, modern manufacturers offer many options that differ among themselves the material of manufacture.
Wood is the most popular material for making doors. Such products have many advantages, among which it is worth noting primarily their environmental friendliness. Wood does not emit toxic and unhealthy substances and is always associated with warmth and comfort, which is not characteristic of artificial analogues. In addition to aesthetic appeal, this material provides good protection against the penetration of extraneous sounds and cold.
Thanks to the presence of many different species of wood, there is a choice. Inexpensive types of wooden doors are made of a non-solid and lightweight material that is not resistant to mechanical damage. Products from species such as oak, ash or beech are more reliable and heavier, but their cost is much higher than the first option.
Pluses of wooden doors:
- environmental cleanliness ;
- attractive appearance;
- moisture resistance.
Their only minus is the high price.
To improve the appearance of paintings from inexpensive wood species use different types of coatings. One of the most common technologies is veneering the door surface.
Use this product carefully, monitor the humidity and temperature conditions in the room. If the operating conditions are violated, the wood will swell, which will cause peeling of the coating.
Advantages of this type of door:
- attractive and expensive appearance;
- low weight;
- resistance to mechanical stress;
However, fading spots may appear on the surface of direct sunlight.
Plastic constructions. Features
Plastic door types have several positive properties. The most basic of them:
- moisture resistance;
- good sound and heat insulation properties.
Transparent constructions are very popular today because they help not only to delimit, but also to visually expand the space. They are made of shock-resistant and durable glass, the thickness of which is at least 8 mm.
The main advantages of glass products:
- visual increase in space;
- no deformation ;
- moisture resistance;
- ease of maintenance.
- high cost;
- significant weight;
- the complexity of installation;
- the glass can be broken with a sharp object.
Basic Selection Criteria
Before how to choose a door, it is necessary to decide where it will be installed, and what functional load will bear. For example, they can be used simply to separate the living space, decorate the interior, increase sound insulation and more. It is important to decide how much light it should transmit into the room.
Basic selection criteria:
- Material of manufacture. It depends on it the price, weight and properties of the product.
- Thickness. This setting affects sound insulation.
- Weight. Too large a door is not needed for indoor installation.
- Sound and heat insulation. Thermal insulation is important for the door mainly to the balcony, for other rooms - no. The design should not let noise into the bedroom and sounds from the bathroom.
- Moisture resistance. The indicator is important when installing the door to the bathroom, toilet and kitchen. It is advisable to choose laminated PVC.
- Construction. The number and type of flaps, the structure of the canvas itself and the presence of inserts are selected depending on practical requirements.
- Finishing. Selected depending on the design of the room.
- Style and colors. They are chosen according to personal taste preferences and design requirements.
When buying, you need to pay attention to the quality of decor elements, accessories and locks. It is also worth considering the advice of experts and reviews of friends.