Any motorist periodically encounters the need to perform quality repairs of the vehicle. Many prefer to trust this process to professionals, but experienced drivers perform all the manipulations on their own. But not every malfunction can be effectively corrected without the help of special devices. If it is necessary to carry out a high-quality repair of a gas distribution unit, it is imperative to have a valve expander on hand. Such a product will help to greatly facilitate the manipulation of the block head. The wizard will be able to depress the spring to easily remove all the crackers.
The first thing the wizard needs to remember how valves are fixed in the gas distribution mechanism of any motor. Experts note that the inlet and outlet devices are held closed by means of a strong spring. It is fixed on the valve stem with a plate and breadcrumbs. To quickly remove the plug, you need to compress the spring. It is with this task that the valve expander perfectly copes. Such a unit is sold in any car shop, but in order not to spend personal savings, you can try to make it yourself.
Varieties of models
Today, there are two categories of valve expanders. Each product is distinguished by its performance characteristics that are highly appreciated by professionals:
- Lever assembly. This is a universal device. It can be used both with respect to the removed head, and without its preliminary dismantling. The only drawback of the device can only be called the fact that the work must be done in pairs (one person presses the spring, and the second takes out crackers). Home craftsmen prefer to make such a valve expander with their own hands.
- Screw model. This product is more convenient to use, as the master can perform all the manipulations on his own. It should be noted that a product of this category is relevant only if the unit head has been previously dismantled.
Principle of use
The first thing to do is to carefully put on the pin the extreme bracket of the desiccant . Only in this case it will be possible to hold the bed to tighten a nut on it. The figured washer is mounted on a plate, which not only covers the springs, but also presses the lever. The outer side of two crackers is presented in the form of a small cone. In some cases, with a slight pressure on the plate, it may be stationary on the valve stem. In such a situation, you need to hit slightly from the top in the middle of the lever with an ordinary hammer. Only when the springs are compressed, can you remove the crackers from the nest.
Principle of production
You can build a quality valve expander yourself with just a few hours using working time simple drawings. The unit is based on a lever with two powerful brackets attached to it. For fixing, you can use ordinary nuts and screws. As a result, the master should have a swivel. To assemble the fixture, you need to prepare:
- Classic welding machine.
- Two small strips for the production of brackets.
- A standard piece of durable metal for the lever.
- Durable pipe. Its diameter should be slightly larger than the plate itself. The length of the product should be within five centimeters.
In order for the finished homemade desiccant valve for VAZs to be as strong and durable as possible, you need to weld a small washer with a diameter of ten millimeters to the most compact bar. A pre-prepared piece of pipe is attached to the resulting workpiece. To bring the structure into action, it is necessary to fix the short bracket exclusively over the edge of the head, and place the middle part on a plate. When you press the handle of the structure, you can quickly press the spring down, freeing up access to breadcrumbs.
To build a universal valve expander, you need to prepare a classic set of tools in advance. Stages of work:
- The first step is to make a lever. The rod or pipe must be bent so that it looks like a lightning.
- At the short end, two through transverse holes are drilled. It should be noted that their diameter should correspond to the size of the bolts used.
- For the manufacture of U-shaped brackets, short strips are ideal. At the free ends, bolt holes are carefully drilled. A washer is ideal for a partition. The bracket is screwed to the extreme hole in the lever. All connections should be as strong as possible.
- At the final stage, it remains only to build from the long workpieces an identical bracket to the previous one, which is fixed on the lever.
A high-quality home-made desiccant valve is absolutely not inferior a classic factory unit, which can be quite expensive. A self-made tool will last for many years and save a decent amount for the family budget.