Each child is different, so the process of getting to know your own name can happen in completely different ways. Despite the generally accepted norms, most parents are very worried about the full development of their children. It is believed that the lack of response to one’s own name is one of the first symptoms of autism.
When a child begins to respond to his name, all parents are interested. Appeal by name to the baby is part of speech, so the baby must respond to his name long before the appearance of speech skill. Usually this happens during the period when the initial understanding of the surrounding objects is laid: approximately 7-10 months of life.
Most mothers are assured that their children began to respond to their own name no later than six months. But perhaps it’s just a reaction to my mother’s voice. Do not sound the alarm if the baby does not show reaction within the time limits established by the norms. Each baby is individual and develops in accordance with this rule. Of course, deviations from the averaged indicators should be small, this should be remembered.
When a child begins to respond to his name, a rather relevant question for all people who became parents relatively recently . Young mothers should understand: the sooner they begin to name the baby by name, the sooner the baby will begin to speak it, and then respond to it.
Many parents notice that initially the baby tries to catch the intonation, and then already understands the meaning of the spoken word. Calling a baby by name is necessary as often as possible. Try to do it clearly, loudly, quietly, gently and in a whisper. Moreover, your facial expressions should not be the same.
Some experts advise pronouncing the baby’s name using rustling paper. It is recommended to continue such classes until the baby learns to almost constantly respond to his name. In particular, such activities are useful when the baby plays with children. Thus, he learns to switch from a game to words.
Possible reasons for the lack of reaction
If a child does not respond to a name every year, then he may have:
- Hearing problems.
- Lack of communication.
- There are deviations in psychological development.
- Parenting problems: the baby simply indulges or ignores parents.
How to teach a child to respond to his name?
Starting from 3-4 months, the baby must be acquainted with his name. Try to make it clear that it means him. You can do this as follows:
- When showing a child various objects, always pronounce their name, and then point your finger at the baby and name his name.
- When referring to a baby, use one or two derivatives on his behalf. Avoid such treatment as "bunny", "cat", "sun" and so on - this will only confuse the baby.
- When going to approach the child and pick him up, first call him by name, wait reactions.
- Try to contact the baby as often as possible by name.
So when does the child begin to respond to his name? Sometimes it happens that the baby ignores when his name is. Usually this phenomenon appears after a year. In this situation, parents should pay attention to their behavior: perhaps the baby is so spoiled by attention from adults that he simply does not have to respond to his name. You can contact a child psychologist, he will help to competently build family behavior in relation to the baby.
Getting to know other children
Sometimes it happens that a child does not always respond to a name. For the development of children it is very useful to introduce each other. To memorize the names of other kids, it’s better to use the ball game.
Children need to stand in a circle, then the leader throws the ball and calls the player’s name. The owner of the named name should try to catch the ball. Moreover, during such a game, the hearing aid is activated, as well as motor skills, thinking and coordination.
Preschool children can pass the ball in a circle and name their peers. This game is perfect for young children: put the kids in a circle, and then ask each of them to give their name.
What to do?
You have read the information about when a child should respond to your name, and understand that your baby does not meet the standards of development? If the baby is already a year old, then you should contact the following specialists:
- Otolaryngologist - he will check the baby’s hearing. Even if they checked the baby in the maternity hospital and said that everything was fine with the hearing, a second check would not hurt. The fact is that diseases of the respiratory system, throat, or inflammation of the ears can lead to problems with the hearing aid. Before visiting a doctor, it will be useful to conduct a hearing test at home to tell you more about the problem. After the examination, the otolaryngologist will give the necessary recommendations, possibly prescribe treatment, and soon the baby will begin to fully respond to his name.
- Neurologist and psychologist. Often the lack of response to one’s name is psychological in nature. For some kids, this is a style of behavior. But if this continues after a year, then children are often diagnosed with “developmental delay”, autism or a violation of communicative functions.
So we figured out the question when a child begins to respond to his name. Pay special attention to the behavior of your baby. If he perfectly understands requests, commands, is interested in sounds and events, then with the development of him, most likely, everything is fine. And the lack of response to one’s own name is temporary and most likely due to a lack of understanding that this is his name. And if he knows about it, he doesn’t want to respond because of his temperament or nature, laid down by nature.