Symptoms of a child’s sweet allergy

Children are more likely than adults to have allergies for sweet. This is because the children's digestive system is not yet fully formed, and the gastrointestinal tract does not produce enough enzymes to digest complex foods. In addition, the symptoms of any food allergy in children are more pronounced, and the risk of complications is higher than in adults.

The main symptoms of an allergy to sweet foods include:

  • rash, dermatitis, urticaria - most often in the buttocks, abdomen, neck;
  • severe redness of the skin in the cheeks (everyone knows diathesis);
  • itching in the feet, hands, face and neck;
  • areas of dry skin on the legs and arms.

In rare severe cases, nausea, vomiting, bronchospasm, anaphylactic shock, and Quincke's edema can occur. Such symptoms, of course, require immediate medical attention.

Causes of sweet allergy

The most common and, at the same time, erroneous opinion is that what is the reason childhood allergies to sugar - sugar, that is, glucose . This is not entirely true, otherwise only confectionery and similar products would cause allergies, while provocateurs are often fruits containing sucrose and fructose.

In fact, glucose, sucrose and fructose are not allergens per se. Such an allergy simply does not exist in nature. But they can act as catalysts for allergies to other substances. Sugar in any form is a simple carbohydrate. A large number of simple carbohydrates in the gastrointestinal tract provokes fermentation processes that disrupt the chemistry of protein breakdown. As a result, proteins are prematurely absorbed into the bloodstream and thereby cause an allergic reaction.

Thus, if a child’s body reacts negatively to any sweet foods, then it is most likely an allergy to protein. After all, it is in children that a food allergy, or the so-called pseudo-allergy, is most common. This happens, as a rule, due to the immaturity of the enzyme apparatus and the structural features of the gastrointestinal tract.

However, one cannot overlook the fact that there is intolerance to certain types of carbohydrates, for the breakdown of which the child’s body does not produce enough amount of necessary enzymes. It can be an allergy to milk sugar - lactose, nuts, soy, wheat flour, chocolate - that is, the popular and extremely allergenic ingredients of most factory confectionery. You can determine exactly what causes an allergic reaction in a child only with the help of special skin tests.

How to treat a child’s sweet allergy

Like with any other food allergy, the main method of treatment and prevention of sweet allergies is diet. However, in this case, completely eliminating carbohydrates from the children's diet is not only unnecessary, but also dangerous, since they are the main source of energy for the whole organism, especially for the actively developing child’s organism. If you notice diathesis, rashes, or other symptoms after eating a sweet tooth, remove chocolate, sweet cookies, cakes, cakes, ice cream, and other high-sugar foods from his diet. At the same time, you can and even need to leave products such as oatmeal, whole grain bread, pasta and sweet fruits with a low level of allergenicity - bananas, grapes, pears.

If the child still ate sweet and covered with red spots, it is necessary to urgently begin treatment. Modern antihistamines, as a rule, relieve symptoms (itching, skin rashes) well, but, in fact, they are only means to stop an allergy attack, and not always a quick response. They have a lot of side effects, including provoking new allergic reactions, and, in addition, many of them are strictly contraindicated in children under 3 years of age. Therefore, taking antihistamines can only begin after consulting a doctor.

The main goal of antiallergic therapy is the complete elimination of the allergen from the body of the child. And enterosorbents, such as Polysorb, a powerful and soft new-generation sorbent effective in treating allergies, diarrhea, poisoning and in cleansing the body, do an excellent job of this task

Unlike other sorbents, Polysorb easily holds large molecules of allergens and quickly removes them from the body naturally. The drug collects and eliminates toxins, histamine and more than 200 biologically harmful substances formed during the course of the allergy. Thus, Polysorb fights precisely the cause of an allergic reaction inside the body.

Among the unconditional advantages of Polysorb is its instant action speed due to the powder form. Time for "grinding" inside the stomach is no longer required, so Polysorb begins to act within 1-4 minutes after ingestion. In addition, even the most fastidious children can easily take Polysorb: it can be mixed not only with water, but also with juice, fruit drinks, compote or other favorite drink of the baby. So the child will not even notice that he drank the medicine.

It is also important that Polysorb has a minimum of contraindications and is approved for use by children from the first day of life. It does not contain preservatives, flavoring or aromatic additives, which virtually eliminates the risk of allergies to the drug itself.

Vigilance, patience and a lot of love

Life without sweets is possible and not dangerous. Moreover, with the final formation of the digestive system, in most cases, an allergy to sweets goes away. And the fact that your baby will live without cakes and pastries for the first few years of his life will only benefit his health.

Perhaps the main problem here is emotional: how to explain to the child that he cannot eat sweets so far , and how not to turn every holiday into an occasion for tears and sorrows. Tell your baby that he will have strong beautiful teeth, he will grow slim and dexterous. Support your child with your example: if possible, do not buy sweets home and do not eat them in the presence of the baby.

In addition, you need to warn about allergic reaction to the sweet of grandmothers, caregivers and parents of friends of a child who will invite him to his birthdays and other children's parties. Of course, it’s hard for a small sweet tooth to resist a piece of elegant cake or chocolate candy, and you, and especially strangers, will not always be able to keep track of it. Do not scold the baby if he came from a friend’s birthday all in red spots. Rather, give him enterosorbent, hug him, and let him know that you will always help him and support him